free website stats program need some coaching | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

need some coaching

Wow,
I'm jealous - sounds like a great project. :bigsmiley11:

Definately (as previously stated) get the manual :read and above all else, take your time - if your boss trusts you to take it apart, he should understand if you take your time now, all will go easier when it comes to put it back together!

Have fun - post a picture or two of the before and after, if you can.

CatWoman :rider

PS Hope all goes well, RobertC - I know, that waiting is no fun!! :nosad

Be smart - get the manual. I'll save you time & headaches w/this project. If your boss wants this project done right...he'll shell out the few $$$ for the book. Otherwise you might have a few "Homer Moments" :small3d007: you'll regret later.

Ive painted a few bikes over the years for friends.If you are a good wrench as you say, it shouldnt be too difficult for you.

The tank disconnect instructions can be found on this sight.The fairing and front fender are pretty straight forward.The bags and side covers are also no problem.The only other area of caution is the rear fender.You may find completely removing the fender struts is the safest way to go.

Keep in mind it will be weeks before you get these parts back.Ziplock and label everything.Dont be afraid to tape any area's that are tight.When reinstalling, detac the tape on your pant leg by rubbing it back and forth.Tape has been known to peel fresh paint.Loktight and torque what you're suppose to.

Lastly,include pictures of the assembled bike for the painter.It will allow them to visualize the scheme when laying it out.I often reasemble parts once prepped for paint.It allows you to lay out graphics that better flow with the bike.

Manual and alot of digital pictures documenting the disassembly. Without both unless you have a photographic memory it's going to be a nightmare.

I just changed my bars out last winter. The digital pictures and manual were invaluable. Of course if you are just taking the bike apart and not re-assembling and want to look for another job, that's a different story.

Hey guys and gals got the bike tore down and got the parts off to Cassidy at Bad Ass Paint in California today now guess it is just a wairing game till I get the parts back and see what he is doing on them. I have attached a couple photo's if they come through, one before the teardown and one after just to let you see what I'm working on. I am excited now to see what I get back and see it back together. I'll keep you posted on the results. BTW I did swing for the manual but had it apart when I got it. Was quiet easier than I thought it would be.

Attachments

• 100_0689.jpg
    100_0689.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_0703.jpg
    100_0703.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 38
Hey guys and gals got the bike tore down and got the parts off to Cassidy at Bad Ass Paint in California today now guess it is just a wairing game till I get the parts back and see what he is doing on them. I have attached a couple photo's if they come through, one before the teardown and one after just to let you see what I'm working on. I am excited now to see what I get back and see it back together. I'll keep you posted on the results. BTW I did swing for the manual but had it apart when I got it. Was quiet easier than I thought it would be.

Gladd everything went smoothly.Pick up a roll of 2" tape for your install.Detac it before applying it and youre good to go.

Here are the photos of the build I did on the Red Buck cigar bike I have told you about earlier. Took a while to get the parts back from the painter but he did a great job. I also added a lot of chrome and a new front and rear wheel and tires plus all new chrome front end. Was a great enjoyment to do this bike just wish it were mine but had lots of fun and picked up a lot of good experence by getting to do it.:D

Attachments

• P4060020.jpg
    P4060020.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 35
  • P4060016.jpg
    P4060016.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 33
  • P4060021.jpg
    P4060021.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 32
  • P4060019.jpg
    P4060019.jpg