free website stats program need some coaching | Harley Davidson Forums

need some coaching

dcofer

Hey guys might need a little help on this one, I work for a cigerette company and my boss has a 07 street glide that he wants me to strip down for him and send all the tins, bags and fairing off to get repainted. He is making a theme bike out of it to represent the company brand but my question is do I need tto know anything special about stripping this bike down. Is there any cautions I should take as far as any of the electrical hook ups or any thing that is hidden that I should know about otherwise. I am a pretty good wrench man but have never stripped a Harley before especially a practially new bike with only a few thousand miles on it and a perfect paint job to start with. Wish it were mine I'd try to ride the wheels off it, it's a beautiful bike and a lot nicer than my 95 dresser. Thanks any input will greatly appreciated.

Your Kidding? Wow, what an awesome project & opportunity to get involved in. I would love to get up to my neck in a project like that. I would take a ton of pictures all along the way.

I don't think I ever had a boss trust me THAT much. He likes you!

haven't got time to go get a manual he wants it shipped next week to the painter in California and about putting it back together I dont know if I want to put a few thousand dollar paint job back together or not but guess I have no other choice so I will keep everything marked and labeled. guess a little loctite might be a thing to use too huh. thanks

If your boss has the $$ to be doing a custom paint job, he can afford a genuine shop manual. Like Smitty said, be careful of the fuel lines and electrical connections. There is a section in the back of the manual that shows all of the types of wiring connectors and how to disconnect them easily/properly. Also shows how to disconnect the fuel lines.

we make small cigars and it a theme bike or them. A brand called Red Buck. Sounded like today when he talked to me that it will be a beautiful bike but still think I would like it the way it is. Its candy brandy wine now or black cherry or whatever that color is harley has. Not my money though so guess I'll just do it and enjoy getting all this free experiance of tearing someone else's bike apart and putting it back together. robertc we just make them we dont make them smoke them, thats by choice of whoever.

Good luck on your project. Meant no disrespect as I am a recent ex-smoker... so shame on me as well. I stopped soon after the dentist discovered two suspicious spots on my gums. Still waiting for the results of test. Just hate to see anyone else go through the worry, so for the smokers out there...STOP!!!
:small3d038:
No more preaching, promise! Happy holidays to all:D

Wasn't shooting at you robertc we all gotta work at something so we can ride these great machines . I was a x smoker till I went to work here and kinda like putting a drunk in a destilery to many temptations I guess I was fool enough to start back. Wish I was on the west coast I bet your riding every day but cant here in Ky its in the lower 30's just to cold for my old bones. Sorry about the snap you guys, have a Great Holiday, no, no here in Kentucky its still "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" !!!!!! We still got god here in Gods Country. ;-)

I live in Oregon and it's in the low 30's here too. I feel your pain as it hurts my bones as well. I still ride as often as I can and drink lots of hot chocolate after the ride.
No pain no gain as they say.
I gain a lot of joy riding despite the cold weather.
And Merry Christmas to you as well...
This whole Country is God's Country, no matter where you live.
God bless America...Hoo Ya!!! land of the free.

This sounds like a great project and good luck with it. I know that your boss wants it done ASAP, but custom paint isn't cheap, and like many other posters have pointed out, the manual is a must. The last thing you need , after all the money is spent on getting this paint done, is to inadvertantly screw something up. I know he's your boss, but he needs to consider your part in this too.....

Back