free website stats program Need some advice | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need some advice

My 1st question really should have been....
Does your 2006 have O2 sensors in the header pipes. (They will be close to the cylinder head)

How do you know that you do not have a Power Commander? Asked previous owner or checked the ECM/ under seat?
I don't know...

I just posted a pic of my bike on the sticky "Let see them Softails".

Can you tell from that pic or should I be looking on the other side of the bike?

Holy Cow, Nice Ride. :)

2006 was around the time HD went closed loop using O2 sensors. You need find out if your bike has them. Look under the seat for any aftermarket boxes.

By chance were you given a little plastic box (orange or black in color about 2" X 4") with computer ports on it when you purchased the bike.

Holy Cow, Nice Ride. :)

2006 was around the time HD went closed loop using O2 sensors. You need find out if your bike has them. Look under the seat for any aftermarket boxes.

By chance were you given a little plastic box (orange or black in color about 2" X 4") with computer ports on it when you purchased the bike.
No little plastic box. I looked under the seat to check if Power Commander was
there. No box ... nothing.

Any ideas where I should proceed? Will I see the O2 sensors on the header pipes?
What about wire leads?

Thanks for the help.

My advise to you is listen to these guys like I did and check out Dobecks TFI Unit or the Gen 3 EJK Unit. I went with the Gen 3 and it's as advertised plug and play. It took me just a little over an hour to install it, and with a push of a button I can tune it. My Heritage runs awesome since the install. The mechanics at our local dealership said it would cost me $1000.00 for them to install a power commander and dyno the bike.

No little plastic box. I looked under the seat to check if Power Commander was
there. No box ... nothing.

Any ideas where I should proceed? Will I see the O2 sensors on the header pipes?
What about wire leads?

Thanks for the help.

HD did not put the O2 sensors on the Heritage until 2007. If you did have O2 Sensors the front one would be located as shown in the pic below. The pic is where the O2 sensor WOULD be but I have taken mine out in put bung plugs in place of them.

Attachments

• O2 Sneosr Location.jpg
    O2 Sneosr Location.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 12
My advise to you is listen to these guys like I did and check out Dobecks TFI Unit or the Gen 3 EJK Unit. I went with the Gen 3 and it's as advertised plug and play. It took me just a little over an hour to install it, and with a push of a button I can tune it. My Heritage runs awesome since the install. The mechanics at our local dealership said it would cost me $1000.00 for them to install a power commander and dyno the bike.

Hey John Doe, did you end up exchanging or repacking your baffles? I have a set of V&H quiet baffles for my Big Shot Longs but haven't installed them yet.
Just wondering if it would make a difference.

HD did not put the O2 sensors on the Heritage until 2007. If you did have O2 Sensors the front one would be located as shown in the pic below. The pic is where the O2 sensor WOULD be but I have taken mine out in put bung plugs in place of them.

Thanks for the photo ... but is difficult to determine where it was located on your 2007. I am pretty certain that my 06 DOES NOT have O2 sensors. I will check again to make sure tomorrow.

Do you know the difference between the following units: Dobecks TFI or the Gen 3 EJK Unit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just went out to my garage to check...

No O2 sensor. Just nice pipes going into the head. :)

I reviewed the installation video and it looks sweet and pretty easy to install.

Not being familiar with the Power Commander, is there a big difference between the
TFI and the PWR Commander?

BTW, Thanks for all the help.

The TFi is easiest to install and the only tool to adjust is a pocket screw driver. The best part is the ease of adjustment per adding mods to bike. The best bang for buck.

Check this out: TFI Tuner From Dobeck Discounted (NEW OFFER) - Harley Davidson Community
I am confused...

Do I need to have the dealer download the "stock" map for the ecm and then once this unit is plugged in I would set each of the pots to give me optimum performance?

I believe the dealer did a "custom" tune when the aircleaner and V&H pipes were installed.

Back