free website stats program Need some advice | Harley Davidson Forums

Need some advice

S.Neill

My wife and I own two Harley's, my Softail, and my WideGlide. I've pretty much given the Softail to her, but we've run into a problem. We used to ride everywhere together, but she hasn't ridden much in the past year. She says that because she broke her tailbone twice it is too uncomfortable for her to sit the bike for hours on end, and she is now convinced that if we could convert it into a trike that she would be able to deal with it better.

We don't have the money to put into a $5,000 or more kit, and I'm just wanting to remove the rear wheel, rework the swingarm and add an axle. We may add fenders, we may not, but I'm looking for a basic simple conversion.

There is not much info out there on it. Modifying the swingarm is fairly straightforward, and picking an axle isn't that difficult. Cutting it down and getting it to size is fairly straightforward. Here is my problem, and if this isn't the proper place to post the question then I apologize, but I would like to know from some of you what I can do here.

My problem is in converting a car axle differential from a shaft drive to a belt drive for a 2004 FXST If someone can explain to me how to do it I can get it done. If anyone knows a site that can give me the instructions for it, then I would appreciate it. If you can help in any way, I'll be sure to post pics of the project from start to finish.

Thanx

TRIKE AXLE CONVERSION KIT REAR END HARLEY CHOPPER BELT

american classic motors on ebay is offering this as a buy it now item at $1575.95. You maybe money ahead than trying to convert a car axle to a belt and paying to cut it down and have new axles made. Just thinking! search ebay motors for trike axles.

Being in the automotive field Im pretty well adapted to fabricating things to make them work.My advice to you would be to pic up a Harley
"trike" shop manual.

This may give you some valuable insight as to how its done.

I don't know if switching to a trike will help your wifes tail bone issues but either way you go the seat is going to be the biggest issue. One of the sling (hammock style) seats might be a good investment.:newsmile079:

Back