free website stats program Need some advice on a new potential Dyna Owner | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need some advice on a new potential Dyna Owner

Good Luck with your decision I know it will not be easy. Do you plan on rebuilding your ironhead sportster?

Sorry that this is late. What did you decide on and are you happy? I LOVE my '12 SuperGlide "Custom" (*** is that "Custom" from the factory anyway?)

I hope you kept your Sporty! They are a lot of fun but there comes a point where they need a rebuild just like anything else.

Cracker Scott

Good luck on your decision to purchase a dyna, with some slight modifications the dyna model is one of the most versatile models they made.

Dyna's are cool because they can be made into anything your heart desires, for instance a sleek, solid touring bike with lots of style and under budget.

Well, I picked up a "gently" used 2003 FHDL Dyna Low Ryder with 1,046 miles on it in 2005. She now has well over 106,000 miles, and the jugs and cases have NEVER been pulled or cracked.
First off, I'm on old "Shortster" lover. I like "fast and furious". Had a '72 iron head with right hand shift (award winning rat bike), a '80 XLH (added a kick start) and a 2000 XLH (along with a 1965 FLH that was down more than it was up). All my Sportsters (as well as the Pan) had their individual unique quirks and maintenance issues which usually required carrying 50 pounds of tools whenever going on a ride. But, back then, you could fix 'em on the side of the road. Anyway, I digress....
My '03 Dyna is nothing more than a Sportster on steroids. Same front end, basically the same frame, but with that Twincam 88 and a 5-speed. And in all fairness, she's no longer stock. Harley had issues with the '00-'05 cam chain guides and chains. Replaced with gear and solid lifters. Installed a S&S .510 cam, S&S Super E carb, hotter coil and larger plug wires, iridium plugs, extended forward shift (I'm 6 ft 4 in), mini-apes,and a few other "upgrades". And as with any (older) make or model, Oil changed every 2,000-2,500 miles with GOOD oil and filter, primary and tranny every 5k miles. She's starting to lose a little compression, but still within factory specs. She still can "(EDIT)" and I've smoked my fair share of rice burners with it. Now that I have a Geezer Glide (2011 FLHTCU) I'll pull the jugs and do a top-end this winter. May even go ahead and split the cases and do a bottom job. Looking forward to another 100,000 miles out of her then.
Sentinel, no matter what you get, just make sure you fit and the bike fits your riding style and habits, and has the room for "personalization". Harley has certainly got their head and a** wired together on the new lines they're putting out, and have for several years now, starting with the Twincam and everything forward. Truly wish you the best on your choice. And as long as you keep the sunny side up and the rubber side down, it don't make no matter what you're riding...
Semper

Last edited by a moderator:
He's just saying those years, but I honestly don't know why. But, if you say no budget concerns, those years wouldn't be on my list anyway. I'd look for a newer dyna with low miles that someone bought and just kept in the garage for a couple years before trading for the next newest thing.

That sounds like a good idea buying a 2 year old Dyna....But I keep reading the new Dynas run too hot. Are these claims overblown?

Too hot is a matter of personal perception. My 2005 gets hot at times, but this is normal for an air-cooled engine. If you want a Harley, you are going to have to endure some heat!

IMG_0351.JPG I have a 2002 XL1200 stage 1, and I have replaced a lot of parts to make her dependable,safe and fast. Love the Sporty. But wanted something bigger for comfort on longer runs. So I went tire kicking, at a local dealer...I've always had my eyes on the Dynas. Well fell in love with a 2006 FXD35, 35th Anniversary Dyna. Well 3 hrs later ....it was mine! Still have the Sporty, and bought a set of Andrew cams for her for stage 2. Boy I'll tell ya... the Dynas the (EDIT) bomb! I love it to death!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back