free website stats program Need some advice on a new potential Dyna Owner | Harley Davidson Forums

Need some advice on a new potential Dyna Owner

Sentinel

I have a 1983 sportster 1200. Love it. It's fun. But she's not dependable in the slightest. It's my first bike and I would have to say it was the absolute worst thing having something this old, abused, and broken. Especially for a first bike it almost made me not want to ride anymore. After 6 months of fixing pretty much everything, talking half of it apart along with the transmission, and depending on some books/YouTube, she runs OK. Battery dies often. Broken light. Etc. problems basically.

Anyways I have been looking at newer model bikes and a new bike in general that I can actually enjoy and not have to worry if she'll stall, let alone turn over. The bikes I am looking at are the Dyna models. I wanted to know opinions and get some advice if and when I purchase it. I prefer mid controls and will definitely have t bars no matter model. Just what I'm comfortable with. Any year recommendation would be awesome. No budget.

Thank you in advance for reading and your help

I have only ridden a dyna a couple of times, but both times, the ride was very comfortable. My brother had a superglide, and that was one sweet ride. ;) I don't think you will regret getting a dyna. Not to mention the safety concerns of a bike that may stall on you in traffic. ;) There will be others along soon that have a great amount of experience that can explain all the pros and cons of the dyna's. This is just my very limited experience/opinion. Good luck!

I have owned my 1992 Dyna since 1993. I've taken trips from Florida to Canada with it. It's comfortable (windshield & bags) for all day riding. I've ridden it really hard at times, done some HP mods, and it remains reliable. I now have an Electra Glide but still love to ride the Dyna. Mid 90-99 Evo models can be had in the $4-$5k range. I'd stay away from early '00-'01 Twin Cam models, but all others should be good.
P.S. Your '83 Sportster was made during the hardest years for HD, they are much more reliable now.

Dynas are great bikes,it's the perfect next step from a Sporty.I've had 2.Added forward pegs to stretch the legs on a FXDC,Wide Glides already have forwards.But even mids are going to be further forward than the Sporty.With no budget,I'd get the newest one you can.

I have owned my 1992 Dyna since 1993. I've taken trips from Florida to Canada with it. It's comfortable (windshield & bags) for all day riding. I've ridden it really hard at times, done some HP mods, and it remains reliable. I now have an Electra Glide but still love to ride the Dyna. Mid 90-99 Evo models can be had in the $4-$5k range. I'd stay away from early '00-'01 Twin Cam models, but all others should be good.
P.S. Your '83 Sportster was made during the hardest years for HD, they are much more reliable now.
Why do you say to stay away from the twin cams?

He's just saying those years, but I honestly don't know why. But, if you say no budget concerns, those years wouldn't be on my list anyway. I'd look for a newer dyna with low miles that someone bought and just kept in the garage for a couple years before trading for the next newest thing.

He's just saying those years, but I honestly don't know why. But, if you say no budget concerns, those years wouldn't be on my list anyway. I'd look for a newer dyna with low miles that someone bought and just kept in the garage for a couple years before trading for the next newest thing.
I see. Well after seeing the new "street bob" I think I'd rather go with the 'my low rider. Idk about the S version yet

Remember that in 2018 Dynas are no longer, per say as to the old style. They all have the Softail look with a Mono Shock. Something to consider.
tourbox

Just the first years. '99 had problems with rotor separating from magnets and some other things I don't recall at the moment. Any that has survived this long has probably had the problems fixed.

JMHO but if the OP can afford one of the new "hybrids" he should pass on the earlier models and take advantage of the latest upgrades. The new hybrid line offers the M8 motor, smoother ride with new counter balancer to the hard mounted motor, better ride and handling with the mono shock and lighter weight, etc. I have never been very interested in the new models coming out every August but I find the 2018 "hybrid" line pretty interesting; the Fat Bob is my current favorite. I am so attached to my '05 FXSTD and my '02 FLHT that I am not sure I can part with them and that is the only way my better half will even discuss a 2018.:oops: I have to get her into the show room to see the Fat Bob.;) A Fat Bob with the 117" upgrade with Stage I upgrade, maybe cams which are becoming available and a good tune should be a hoot to ride.:cool:

Back