free website stats program Need reassurance on H-D reliability | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need reassurance on H-D reliability

Enjoy the trip to Sturgis, I wish I could go with you.
Its understandable to worry about as large an investment as owning a Harley can be, but remember: you are now part of a family and we all help one another.
If something should go wrong, (most likely won't) you'll have a very large group of family members who will stop and help you back on your adventure. It's the Harley riders who help "anyone" on a bike no matter what the brand. It was the bond between Harley riders that made me "have" to have one. It's a bond like no other.
The reason you see so many questions on these forums is because we all tend to want to customize our scoots. I would venture to say, most at least change pipes and a/c. Some of us change cams, increase displacement etc. It has become so common to tweak a Harley that these forums arose out of that need. There is no reason to believe Harley's are prone to problems. They are a remarkable piece of machinery and should last you a very long time. With regular maintenance you will be just fine. Remember, if you do have a problem, one of us will be there to help you out. I never felt that secure riding my Yamaha. I almost feel guilty admitting that I owned one. Why is that? I guess it's because I didn't feel like I was part of something much bigger. "FAMILY" It's what Harley is all about. Ride safe and take lots of pictures. I really wish I could go with you, I'm sure you will have a blast.

imo hd is one of the better quality, better built rides out there
the internet will scare you to death if you let it, true you here of a lot of concerns but most will post in time of trouble not happyness, if you look at any fourm from bikes to snowmobiles to atv to campers to cars 90% of what you read would deter you from ownership, these talks are very helpful, harley owners are very helpful have fun be safe. if your ride was 30 years old with a million miles on it ya worry, enjoy you NEW bike

Bought my 2001 Road King Police bike in 2003. Now has 26,000+ miles. Been to Montana twice, Pittsburgh (via Dayton, Ohio), Denver and the Rockies, Michigan's U.P....although I've had a few issues (stator went bad in Ohio, engine light coming on last 200 miles of the recent trip to Montana) I've never worried about whether I should ride. These bikes will run forever if they're taken care of. Ride it, and have fun.

I've put about two hundred thousand miles on Harleys, and I have only broken down about 3 times. One time in 93 on a 93 Springer I had a compensator come loose and fail. I had to be trailered for that one. I had the compensator come loose on my wifes used 1988 Heritage in 1996. I was able to fix it on the road. Used a pair of vice grips a piece of wood and a big hammer to tighten it so we could get home I didn't have a big enough socket to to tighten it on the road. We were at a Hog ralley. Made it Home about 280 miles no problem. Then I fixed it correctly. The older evo's had some issues with compensator nuts coming loose. It doesn't seem to happen as much anymore. These bikes are very dependable like some have stated keep up with the maintance and the recomemded inspections of things like cam tensioner wear blocks and you should be fine. I wouldn't hesitate going from coast to coast on any of the big twins. Not that a Sporty wouldn't make it, I wouldn't make it on a Sporty. Back and neck issues. These bikes are great. In the 60's and early 70's I rode BSA and Triumphs, and they were always having something go wrong, setting points on the road was like stopping for gas, it was no big deal. Also replacing zenor diodes was common place.
Like Bud said just get on it and ride. I'm sure you will be fine. PS when my wife had Honda's before she got the Heritage I worked on her Honda's more while we were on trips than I ever did on her Harley.Go figure. Enjoy.

I'm on my 9th Harley since 1961. The older bikes - back in the 60's were found along side the road often, but I haven't had a problem with any since the 96
Road King. After 4 years with no problems, I traded for a 2000 Road King. 56,000 miles and 2 trips from Upstate NY to Sturgis and only 1 problem - a blowout on the rear 40 miles for Sturgis, I traded for an 07 Classic, and now have an 09 Ultra Classic. This one is the best of the bunch because of all the improvements they made this year. Ride your bike anywhere/any time and ENJOY IT!!!!!

My apologies Jim, I said No offense, and meant it, but I fear I came across a little too strong.
You just struck a nerve with me when you questioned the reliability of your machine. I have heard so many people voice concerns about breakdowns on the road, that I have come to question why they even bother to leave the house in the morning.
In all reality, you are probably better off on a Harley when traveling than on any other make simply because of the vast network that supports the product.
Make sure you are well prepared for your trip, both physicaly and mentaly.
Make sure the proper PM has been done to your bike before you leave, and that you have all the basic stuff to get yourself out of minor problems, should any arise.
Be prepared, have confidence in your machine, and in your own abilities.
Good luck to you, ride safe, and enjoy yourself.

gs34, no problems here. I understood what you were saying even though I wasn't keen on how you said it. By the way, where in Pennsylvania do you live? I was in York and Lancaster two weeks ago. Saw the H-D plant in York, Amish farms, and Gettysburg. Beautiful country and some great back roads to ride.

Jim...I hope to bounce of ya at Sturgis...This will be my 12th year but my first on a Harley...I will be the guy with the permasmile and his head held high to be riding such an outstanding ride...Have a great ride.:newsmile090:

Back