free website stats program Need reassurance on H-D reliability | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need reassurance on H-D reliability

29K in the last 15 months on 2 bikes. No issues that affect reliability. Never broke down on the road, nothing has fallen off, no paint is flaking, my smile is huge :) Ride it and enjoy it.

i don't know how some of these stories get started but thats all most of them are rode a sporster,dyna,softail now own an ultra classic heard horror stories about all reg maint you'll be fine

No offense intended, but you probably should have stuck with your honda.
You seem to have bought a Harley not because you loved the machine, but because you wanted to be whatever it is you think Harley owners are, and do whatever it is you think Harley owners do.
Personally, I would think nothing of getting on any bike I have ever owned, and going where ever I pleased.
If I had no more faith in my equipment than you do, I would sell it.

No offense taken and I'm sure your comments apply to a lot of posers. However, I kept the Wing. I ride it and the Road Glide. Good and bad things about each of them.

As far as having bought the Harley for the wrong reasons, the truth is quite the contrary. I've always loved the history, look and sound of Harleys. I have the "Harley-Davidson Co. Archive Collection" book, the "100 Years of Harley-Davidson" book, the "Harley Davidson Century" book, and a few others. I've read them all cover to cover. I don't dress like a pirate, have tatoos, and engage in roudy behavior. I have friends that do and that's fine with me.

I'm simply new to the Harley world in terms of actually owning a Harley instead of just reading about them. I read this forum every day and all the posts about problems had me wondering. My neighbor, a long time Harley rider, didn't help when I asked him if he was interested in going to Sturgis this year and he replied, "What if we breakdown? I wouldn't worry about breaking down if I had your Wing, but I have a Harley." I guess he had some older models that gave him a lot of trouble after he fooled with them.

I wonder no longer. The Road Glide and I are making the pilgrimage to Sturgis. In that sense, I guess you were right. I'm doing what I think Harley riders should do at least once in their life.

No offense taken and I'm sure your comments apply to a lot of posers. However, I kept the Wing. I ride it and the Road Glide. Good and bad things about each of them.

As far as having bought the Harley for the wrong reasons, the truth is quite the contrary. I've always loved the history, look and sound of Harleys. I have the "Harley-Davidson Co. Archive Collection" book, the "100 Years of Harley-Davidson" book, the "Harley Davidson Century" book, and a few others. I've read them all cover to cover. I don't dress like a pirate, have tatoos, and engage in roudy behavior. I have friends that do and that's fine with me.

I'm simply new to the Harley world in terms of actually owning a Harley instead of just reading about them. I read this forum every day and all the posts about problems had me wondering. My neighbor, a long time Harley rider, didn't help when I asked him if he was interested in going to Sturgis this year and he replied, "What if we breakdown? I wouldn't worry about breaking down if I had your Wing, but I have a Harley." I guess he had some older models that gave him a lot of trouble after he fooled with them.

I wonder no longer. The Road Glide and I are making the pilgrimage to Sturgis. In that sense, I guess you were right. I'm doing what I think Harley riders should do at least once in their life.

Good for you Jim and I hope you have many years of enjoyment not only on the goldwing but on the RG also!! ENJOY the Sturgis trip and remember --- we like pics of everything here (well, as long as they are within the guidlines stated!!!) hehe!

I took up riding about 4 years ago at age 55. I bought my first Harley, an 09 Road Glide, about 6 months ago. I know that forums such as this one are magnets (in a good sense) for people seeking solutions for problems, but I'm becoming concerned about all the comments about Harleys regarding flaking paint, leaking this and that, failing parts, etc. I'm thinking about riding from Calif. to Sturgis this year on my Harley and need some reassurance about H-D's reliability. I've never had any problems with my Goldwing, but I'd rather ride to a rally like Sturgis on the Harley. Yes, I need some hand holding. Thanks.

I purchased mine used from the dealer on March 31, 2008. The bike had 21,000 on it. To this day it has 44,000 on it. Runs like a dream. 2005 FLHT Chopper Blue. I rode a Honda VTX 1300. Now I can't get off the Electra Glide. Way more confort, and just way more fun to ride. The only thing I have done to mine is tires and regluar maint. Just ride it.

I took up riding about 4 years ago at age 55. I bought my first Harley, an 09 Road Glide, about 6 months ago. I know that forums such as this one are magnets (in a good sense) for people seeking solutions for problems, but I'm becoming concerned about all the comments about Harleys regarding flaking paint, leaking this and that, failing parts, etc. I'm thinking about riding from Calif. to Sturgis this year on my Harley and need some reassurance about H-D's reliability. I've never had any problems with my Goldwing, but I'd rather ride to a rally like Sturgis on the Harley. Yes, I need some hand holding. Thanks.

Jim,

09 RG is one of the best bikes Harley has ever built for touring. You can go from Cali to NY and back with no worries. I rode my 89 to Sturgis last year and the only thing that became broke was my wallet from the partying.

DS

as i said get on your bad motor scooter and ride.. Good for you jim remember bring money for all you will buy and ship it him instead of trying to pack it all on harley

Just ride it. I don't think HD would have made it past the century mark if they were not reliable.

Back