free website stats program Need New Charging System For `91 Fat Boy - Cycle Electric Good? | Harley Davidson Forums

Need New Charging System For `91 Fat Boy - Cycle Electric Good?

Coaster1948

Account Removed
Okay, I'll try this again. All of my previous typing went by the wayside when allowing pop-up's. Man!

Here's the situation.

I've been in denial of needing a new charging system for a year now but, yesterday was the straw that broke the camels back.

Went out with the Bride and we only made it 62 miles before stopping for a snack. Went to start it and CLICK.

Well, I've had that happen before and thought that maybe I had a bad connection. Troubleshot and found that the regulator/stator plug was partially disconnected. Fixed that and figured I'd fixed it. Nothing else wrong except that the output was 12.2 volts. Just below requirement. I don't get to ride much because of back problems but, when I do, I don't need to break down away from home.

Back to yesterday:

When it wouldn't start, I was prepared. I had an extra older battery in the saddlebags so, I changed it out and we got home fine but, it absolutely cut our ride down to nothing. What a bummer.

I've been doing a lot of research the last few hours since and have read a lot on Cycle Electric Inc's 3 Phase, 38 Amp, alternator kits. They come highly recommended by the rags I read. www . cycleelectricinc . com (Alternator Kit P/N CE-62A)

I absolutely will not purchase a replacement for mine unless its made right here at home. In The U.S. of A. Sorry Teddy! You loose again!

Cycle Electrics' system falls right in there and ACCEL as well but, I'm more for the small Mom & Pop manufacturers like Cycle Electric Inc.

My questions are:

1. Anyone know anything about the installation of their CE-62A Alternator Kit?

2. Anyone had any problems with their systems?

3. Any other choices out there other than these two that are at the front of the technology spectrum with high quality systems?

4. Best place to purchase their kit, price wise?

I don't have a lot of cash to throw away and can't afford to be FORD (found on road dead) in the saddle because of a discharged battery. Carrying an extra is behind me now. Time to face the fact that it's time to upgrade.

A little history as to why I want the 3 Phase, 38 amp system:

Installed upgrades like H4 halogen bulb in Road King Styled headlight nacelle, Lazer Star Halogen Shorty Run/Turn lights with their converters for rear lighting, spots and run/turn flat side run/turn on light bar on front.

And their 3 Phase system runs cooler with less drag on the engine. I think it's a win-win solution.

The thing I'm trying to say is, with all of this extra lighting, the 32 amp system still might not supply everything needed considering the halogen lights and spots all at one time. I could spring of an OEM system but, I wouldn't have a warm fuzzy about it.

Where I live (Georgia), we have to ride with a headlight on at all times. So, there's a constant load on the charging system.

Anything you guys can interject on other solutions short of converting back to filament lighting, will be greatly appreciated. It's an old scooter and everything I have to replace, I like to replace with OEM parts or higher quality aftermarket ones made here at home.

Let me know your thoughts and experiences with Cycle Electrics systems. I really don't mind paying the extra cash for quality and Made in America parts because the replacement cost out way buying two or three more cheap overseas systems.

Thanks for any of your input y'all.

Coaster.............out.

Back