free website stats program Need Input for Wife's New Sporty | Harley Davidson Forums

Need Input for Wife's New Sporty

Shropdog

First, this is my first post to this forum and I just joined today. My first bike in 1974 was a '72 XLCH but, I have been riding BMW's pretty much ever since, except for a new 883 in '90. I came back to HD in 02/07 with a '07 Road Glide (Mirage Orange) and I keep asking myself..."why did I wait so long to buy another HD?". It is a fantastic bike! The last BMW was sold last week (the exit from BMW is another story)

Anyway...my wife rides as well and has been for 12+ years on her own bike. Like me (or at least the old me), she rides a BMW too (F650 with a Rotax 650 thumper motor - very smooth though for a thumper). She is inseam challenged and even with her F650 lowered, she somewhat "tippy toes" (she is 5'3" bare foot, 130# and 52 years old). When we ride together (not two up), our longest day in the saddle is 500 - 550 miles. Here starts the need for your input so we can compare a 1200 vs. 883 (probably go with a L model and solo seat):

1. What are the vibration levels on a 1200 vs. an 883 at say 60/70 mph? I am not concerned about the windblast at those speeds as a small windshield would be installed.
2. What are some of your experiences for 500 mile days? Ready to call it a day or could go a few hundred more?
3. Luggage capacity is not really an issue as I seem to always haul all of the stuff with a small tail bag on her bike.
4. Reliability issues are not really a question as I feel comfortable with that issue.
5. The power of a 1200 is not an issue either as she is an excellent rider, MFS training, IN to MT trip, IN to ME trips, etc.

All of my questions (maybe concerns) center around how the bike will feel on road trips. I understand that is somewhat of a personal issue but, any input, expereinces, etc. will really be apreciated. Our local dealer (Brandt's HD in Wabash, IN) has a 1200L for demo but, the weather has turned cold again in IN and a demo ride is temporarily not realistic.

Thanks for anyone's input, opinions, etc., I really appreciate it!

Hello Shropdog,welcome aboard.
1. What are the vibration levels on a 1200 vs. an 883 at say 60/70 mph? I am not concerned about the windblast at those speeds as a small windshield would be installed.
Sure 1200 have more vibaration instead 883 because 1200 have more "big" size engine and power.
2. What are some of your experiences for 500 mile days? Ready to call it a day or could go a few hundred more?
500 miles a day is hard to go,but if you said was you longest day in the saddle is 500 - 550 miles may be you can do it again.My suggestion do the trip in two days :)
3. Luggage capacity is not really an issue as I seem to always haul all of the stuff with a small tail bag on her bike.
If you choose 1200 or 883 that good installed luggage,a lot luggage pack for sporty out there with small size with big storage :),I think you need it when want to 500 miles away trip.
5. The power of a 1200 is not an issue either as she is an excellent rider, MFS training, IN to MT trip, IN to ME trips, etc.
Lets think about your stamina after do ride for a miles,our body have limitation on it,so if your wife an excellent rider is great but you must remember after we on tired condition we always get a slow reaction when response some reflect.

So my suggestion choose 883 for your wife is good idea.By the way ride safe dude,we waiting more your story here.

Jam

Last edited:
I suggest the new Nightster, (XL1200N), would be perfect. Low seat, great power, comfortable on long rides and handles much better than other sportster models. I rode both and the Nightster is far and above the bike for a shorter rider.:D

Thanks for the inputs so far. Actually, the 1200N was a bike my wife really liked (she looked at the black/silver color scheme). You are right in that it really fits a shorter person very well. Thanks again and we'll see what happens. Oh yes...keep the opinions coming!

Re: Need Input for Wife's New Sporty - Bought One!

Well, after a pretty good test ride a couple week's ago, my wife settled in on a '07 1200L in two tone white / black with spokes. She was really impressed with the lack of annoying vibrations at 65 mph and other items....handling, suspension feel, able to touch flat foot, comfortable seating to handle bar position, etc. Her only dislike was the spongy feeling front brake (why doesn't HD put dual disks on the front like on the cheaper priced Roadster?). But, like I told her, if they don't settle in at 100 miles, or so, we will go with stainless lines and a rebleed (obviously). We do a few week road trips per year and the feel of the bike at highway speeds was important....she was impressed. The bike was shipped today from the factory and we are to pick it up early to mid next week. She's excited!

First off, welcome to to board from Middle Tennessee!

Next, a hardy congratuations on both your and your wife's new bikes. :D

Safe and happy motoring.

Hi and Welcome aboard. I am a new member too! I have ridden since my 1992 MSF course and I have to say that the sporty is just too darn small for me. I am 5'6" and we just won't go to the weight issue. I am not a huge gal but I am not a small one for sure. With my years of experience and my size (we own 3 sportsters) I love to ride Bobs Dyna Wide Glide. I would just love to have a Street Glide but just ain't into making the payments. So in a nutshell that is my opnion on the sportys. They are great I think for novice riders but I would never want to ride them on long distances, on the interstate they are just too lightweight. Hope this helps.

My wife was able to take quite a test ride which included mileage on a four lane highway at 65+ mph. Compared to her old bike, the 1200L weighs about 70# more, obvioulsy does not have any extra body work (bike, not wife;) ), was a windy day when she rode and the bike felt solid and stable. We will be taking a weekend trip towards the end of the month, 600 miles or so - she should have a pretty good idea of how it will feel then. I tried talking her into a Deluxe but, she just could not get comforatble (when sitting - she didn't ride one) with the sheer size / mass of that bike. We are both hopeful the 1200L will suit her just fine. If not....??????. Thanks to everyone for the kind welcoming comments and ride safe!

Congratulations! I think you and your wife made an excellent choice! I have been through the same issues with my lady over the past 2 months. 883 vs 1200 vs Deluxe. Custom vs Low. Low vs. Nightster. ad naseum!! Finally, we have a new baby in the garage and it is the 1200L, vivid black with the black mag wheels. She added an engine guard and small smoked windshield. It is pretty damn nice off the floor. She takes the MSF course in about a month, so I get to break it in!!!
She feels comfortable with center controls for learning, but at 5'7" she will probably move to forward controls very soon.
As far as vibration, at 65 mph, it's there, but no different than an 883. Same engine. I suggest looking into cruise control to give her throttle hand a break. I had a sporty back in the day, and my throttle hand would vibrate to numbness on long rides.

1. Definitely get an oil cooler to keep the V-twin cool.
2. Change your oil to V-Twin motorcycle oil sold at Walmart.
3. Vibration on any smaller bike will be a small issue that can be fixed
on the "butt" section by having a "pillow" seat and good handlebar grips
will help to an extent on the hands. Also add rubber bushings to the mirror
these can be purchased at any hardware store.
Sincerely,
Gregg / Reaper e-mail: nmcop@msn.com

First, this is my first post to this forum and I just joined today. My first bike in 1974 was a '72 XLCH but, I have been riding BMW's pretty much ever since, except for a new 883 in '90. I came back to HD in 02/07 with a '07 Road Glide (Mirage Orange) and I keep asking myself..."why did I wait so long to buy another HD?". It is a fantastic bike! The last BMW was sold last week (the exit from BMW is another story)

Anyway...my wife rides as well and has been for 12+ years on her own bike. Like me (or at least the old me), she rides a BMW too (F650 with a Rotax 650 thumper motor - very smooth though for a thumper). She is inseam challenged and even with her F650 lowered, she somewhat "tippy toes" (she is 5'3" bare foot, 130# and 52 years old). When we ride together (not two up), our longest day in the saddle is 500 - 550 miles. Here starts the need for your input so we can compare a 1200 vs. 883 (probably go with a L model and solo seat):

4. Reliability issues are not really a question as I feel comfortable with that issue.

All of my questions (maybe concerns) center around how the bike will feel on road trips. I understand that is somewhat of a personal issue but, any input, expereinces, etc. will really be apreciated. Our local dealer (Brandt's HD in Wabash, IN) has a 1200L for demo but, the weather has turned cold again in IN and a demo ride is temporarily not realistic.

Thanks for anyone's input, opinions, etc., I really appreciate it!

Back