free website stats program Need Ideas | Harley Davidson Forums

Need Ideas

Subby

OK...my /09 Ultra has developed a squeal..squeek? that seems to be coming from the rear on the right side of the bike. It sounds like the noise a belt might make when slipping on it's pulley (that's about the best way I can describe the noise). Now this only seems to occur after the bike is warmed up and is not noticeable when the engine is under load but is noticeable on a trailing throttle and only when decelerating from highway speeds. Around town I don't hear it. I can't narrow in on the source of the sound and have eyeballed the bike carefully looking for anything that might be loose, etc. but have found nothing. This has been going on for several months and the bike has performed flawlessly throughout. The clutch is properly adjusted, the drive belt has the proper tension, all fluids are correct...I'm stumped. Any and all ideas will be welcomed.

Slop some axle grease on the rubber muffler mounts.

I was thinking the same thing. My Rineharts do that at the rear mounts. They get dry and start the squeak sometimes so fast it could be a squeal. I usually spray them with something and the problem is solved for awhile.

Bodeen

Need more info. Is exhaust O.E. or aftermarket. If aftermarket and Rush the right baffle is known to rattle inside pipe. Have you checked all critical fasteners last service?? As others have said, be sure to lube muffler bracket rubbers they are also known to squeak....

Is there any play/wiggle in the saddlebag? Saddlebag support rubber (the bottom one), or bag rubbing side cover?

Check the rubber bushings on the exhaust hangars on the very rear of the bike. Mine started squeaking at certain vibration frequencies, especially at idle. Try hosing them out with water, let them dry and spray some silicone lubricant in them.

Mufflers are stock. I'll lubricate the muffler brackets as suggested. Thanks guys...knew I could count on you!!!

Back