free website stats program Need ideas from Illinois and Minnesote riders | Harley Davidson Forums

Need ideas from Illinois and Minnesote riders

mhonn2002

I am working up a trip from Texas to the UP of Michigan and back to Texas this spring. Can any of you guys/gals give me any ideas on good routes going south through Minnesota and Illinois that will keep me out of the Chicago area. I would prefer to stay off the superslabs.

From St Louis all the way to Minneapolis. Ride up the Mississippi river. West side of Illinois and Wisconsin.

Google "Great River Road".

Can't go wrong. Some good roads branch off of it all over the place. But that would be my recommendation.

I am working up a trip from Texas to the UP of Michigan and back to Texas this spring. Can any of you guys/gals give me any ideas on good routes going south through Minnesota and Illinois that will keep me out of the Chicago area. I would prefer to stay off the superslabs.

Mhonn, I live in Illinois not far from St.louis, if you take the river road you will have to let me know and I'll ride a ways with you if you want. It's not too bad a trip up the river road. I've only gone as far as Hannibal Missouri. You should check out Fast Eddie's bar and grill in Alton Illinois famous for there $1 hamburgers.

if you take the great river road, Grafton Illinois is a good resting point. very biker friendly now that they had a change in the village leaders.

I am very familiar with the entire Northern section of Illinois and most all of Wisconsin and on into the UP of Michigan.

(I will be in the Houghton/Hancock area tomorrow to snowmobile in Keweenaw pennisula for instance.)

I would need to know a couple things to help you out:

What part of the U.P. is your destination(s)? ...and will you wanting to do some riding while you are there?
How much time are you looking to spend going around the "slabs"?
From your question... it sounds like you are looking to get to the U.P. by going through Lower-Michigan (what most know Michigan to be).

There are many reasons I am asking... so if you'll let me know a bit more about what you are doing and your time allotment I can provide you with quite a few options from the Southern tip of Illinois on up to the U.P.

GW

Back