free website stats program Need help | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help

Hello friends, I needed some work done on my 2003 Fatboy rear fender. So I took it off the bike but I didn't disconnect the battery before starting, I didn't think I had to since there is a quick disconnect that will disconnect the wiring from the rear lights and rear turn signals from the rest of the electrical system under the seat. When I replaced the fender I was careful not to damage the wiring as I replaced the fender and I reconnected all connectors the way I found them. Now the left turn signals does not operate (both front and rear). I went back through the bike electrical connections looking for some thing that may have been disconnected in the process and disconnected and reconnected all the connection that I had to do while working on the bike. I have checked the light bulds and they're good. One more thing, I noticed the security status lamp was on or would turn on when I would try to operate the left turn signal. So I pulled out the key fob and I tryed the arm and disarm the security system and I also noticed that the left turn sig. didn't flash in the process, so I don't think it's the turn switch.

there is a quick disconnect that will disconnect the wiring from the rear lights and rear turn signals from the rest of the electrical system under the seat.

Welcome to the forum.:p Do you have the Genuine factory service manual for your bike. The connector under the seat as referenced above, how many wires does that connector have and what color are the wires.? I doubt they are the same as my 2009 but I will be happy to check. If they are, (or if I had a schematic of your bike) I would tell you exactly what to do in order to diagnose your problem.

You the man Hoop! Your on the electrical roll this morning. We should start calling you Sparky..... Seriously, nice work..

Bodeen

I am glad I can help someone once in a while. It's the only thing I understand because the rest of the Bike has me totally puzzled!:p:p

FB cruiser; did you have to bend or twist any of the connectors while removing/installing the fender. Even thought the wiring harnesses seem fairly rigid - the wires can crack if stressed. Could be a pinched, or cracked signal wire in the harness. Service manual schematic will help you trace proper signal wire so you can test it for continuity. Good Luck!

Hoople, Iceman, and, Bodeen thank you for the response, first I don't have the manual but a good friend has it. Second as soon as I get a chance (here at work) I will take a look at the connector and let you know the number of wires and the colors. So please stay tuned. Fatboy cruiser

OK guys, there is eight wires total, one blue, one purple, one brown, one orange with yellow stripe, another orange with white stripe, and three black wires in that connector. I also took another look at the connector and disconnected it and pulled on the wires to see if they were in, and inspected them and didn't find anything wrong. So I put it back together and still got the security system light on the speedometer to come on when I tried to operate the left turn signal. Thanks Fatboy cruiser.

Last edited by a moderator:
This will help to isolate your problem to an area.
Realize I am crossing these wires to a manual that was written for a different year bike but it should be close enough.

Blue is "Common Hot" to right and left turn signal parking lights.
Purple is Hot Left Turn Signal.
Brown is Hot Right Turn Signal.
Orange w/ yellow stripe is Hot Center Stop Light
Orange w/white Stripe is Hot Center Parking light

(3) cold Blacks for battery negative return, 1 to each fixture..

Disconnect the harness plug under the seat. USING THE END which goes to the REAR FENDER light assembly. (not feed side please), do the following.

Take a small 12v lantern battery and hook up a wire from the negative of the battery to the pin that has the 3 black wires. That remains there for all tests.

Now take a wire from the positive of the battery and touch.

Blue... Both outside parking lights should light up.
Purple...Left turn signal should come on solid.
Brown... Right turn signal should come on solid.
Orange/yellow... Stop light should come on solid.
Orange/white .. Center parking light should come on.

Remember, if there is a short somewhere in the wiring, sockets, bulbs etc you may see some sparks. That is why I wanted to use a small lantern battery instead of the bike battery or a car battery. It would limit the current if you had a dead short somewhere in your wiring harness. If you do decide to use a full size 250 CCA battery, you may want to wire in a 3 amp fuse in the Black test wire going to the battery just in case you do have a dead short in the system.

See what happens and report back.

Hoople, you are the man! I did as you said and we traced the problem back to a printed circuit board that is behind the rear light that has all the pins that send the different circuits the the various fixtures. Thanks so much wow what a relief. Fatboy cruiser.

I looked out my window and did not see a column of smoke in the horizon so I knew you were Ok!:p

Nice work Fatboy Cruiser.

Back