free website stats program Need help with possible electrical problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help with possible electrical problem

Tony C

A friend let her 2002 Heritage Softail (EFI) sit for about 5-6 years. She asked me to clean it up, change the fluids and sell it for her. I make no claims of being a mechanic but don't mind turning a wrench. I figure the more I learn to work on the better off I'll be if something comes up on a road trip.
I replaced the fluids and the battery and have been trying to sell it for a few months. I started up recently and after running for a few minutes it died. When I tried to restart it the bike just clicked as if the battery was dead. I took the battery in and it was low so they recharged it. After reinstalling the battery, the bike turned over but wouldn't start. All the lights are working and I have spark to the plugs.
Any suggestions on what to look at next would be appreciated.....

Spark and fuel is what you need, have you checked to see if she's getting fuel? Load test the battery to make sure it's up to the job.

Seafoam will be your friend after you drain the gas and put new gas in. You can add it to your fuel and spray it down the throttle body. If it wasn't drained before putting it away for 5 years, I would also think about checking for clogged fuel filter and the inside of the tank for rust.
That's where I would start if it's turning over. Also, if that battery is that old, I would replace, not recharge it. If I was buying the bike, I would make you replace it if it was that old, regardless of what the current voltage is.

if fuel was left in tank for 5 yrs that might be it, disconnect fuel line spray carb cleaner in tank it might take a couple of cans

Thanks for the input I appreciate it. I will start looking into the suggestions. And the battery is new....

Listen for the fuel pump to cycle when turning on the key. It should come on for 3-5 sec. then shut off.
tourbox

Thanks for the input I appreciate it. I will start looking into the suggestions. And the battery is new....

I would still load test the battery. New does not mean it's good. From your post you said the bike fired and ran before it died, tried to restart and battery was dead.

A new battery should not have been dead after only 1 start cycle unless it was not charged to begin with. If you're not maintaining enough volts it won't start.

I will load test the battery next. When I first put it in, the bike started and I rode it around the block a few times. However it Sat 2-3 months while trying to sell it.
Thanks again

A fully charged battery should read 12.7 volts and not drop below 10 volts during load test

Back