free website stats program Need help with electrical issues... | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help with electrical issues...

faithfulson

I have a 2002 Dyna Wide Glide that ran perfectly. I switched handlebars (with internal wiring) and now it won't start. I have checked the wires to make sure they are re-connected correctly and they are. The turn signals & headlight works, the horn and starter works, but it doesn't fire. Ignition fuse, and all fuses are good. Any suggestions?

Well if the starter is turning it over, you either don't have spark or fuel. Check for a spark while cranking? Gas tank full? Do you have a fuel shutoff? Recheck the fuel pump fuse?

I'm terrible with electrical stuff but those are a few ideas that popped into my head.

I'm in the same boat when it comes to electrical problems, but it usually goes back to the last thing you worked on. I seem to remember a problem with the small switch behind the break lever breaking if a spacer was not used during disassembly and install. I don't know if there is an interlock involved with the switch or not, but if you check your manual you should be able to trace the wires. Hoople should be on soon to help you out.

Went thru the same thing on my 00 RK. I would say you pinched a wire. Loosen up everything and give it a try. As said before, go back to what you just replaced.Does the bike turn over, just not fire?

Well, I do have spark and fuel and it turns over good Thought I smelled fuel when I cranked (compression release) but now not sure. Will check fuel pump fuse and cable adjustments...thinking now it might not be electrical but fuel...as for the kill switch, when it is "off" the starter won't crank so I assume it is working.

Back