free website stats program need help with 09 ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

need help with 09 ultra

09ultra

Banned
I have a problem I hope someone can help with. I have an 09 Ultra with a TFI , screaming eagle air cleaner and Jack Pot slip on's from Fuel Moto. After installation it ran great. That was 600 miles ago. Yesterday while out riding, it started to hesitate and even backfire while taking off out of first gear. It got worse and even out of 2nd gear it has a hesitation and backfiring. Once the rpm is up past 2000 it seems to run fine. I am not sure if it is getting too much fuel or not enough. Problem is, is it the TFI or other? I did go back through the TFI settings and they do make a differece as I adjust. This SUKS. Any ideas?:bigsmiley19:

Check the connections for the injectors and the TFI over first.

Bad gas? Just fill it up?

You could note the settings on the TFI and dial 1-2-3 back to zero and #4 to the top and see how it reacts. Are the lights in the TFI acting normal? Green on and the orange on momentarily when you goose it?

I did fill up about 30 miles to the problem starting. My tank had about an 1/8th in it and I filled up at a station I use all the time, no ethonal and 93 octane. Maybe I got some bad petro? What is the easiest way to dump the tank? I suppose siphon it. Would it run decent at idle as well as high RPM on bad gas? I have not had a chance to check connnectiuons but I do remember a good click during install. It is weird that it happened all of a sudden. Bad gas would be the easiest fix. The green light is on and the orange when I stomp on it as it is suppose to be. It seems to be reacting properly. I wonder if I will have to remove the TFI if it come down to taking it in to a HD dealer for waranty?. Thanks Glider, keep up the help as I was hoping you would reply.

I think I would lean towards the bad gas.

As far as removing the gas, you can siphon it but that wouldn't get any water out as it sits at the bottom of the thank and you can' easily get to the bottom at the rear of the tank where it collects.

Best to remove and empty it out and flush with fresh gas, it's a pain to do but will eliminate the water if any.You could also give it a liberal shot of dry gas like used in the cars in the tank and see if it helps followed by more use of the dry gas at future fill ups for a while just to be sure.

That bike doesn't have a cross over in front of the tank, does it?

Glider, Looked in the tank and seen nothing other than what appears to be a white plastic float as well as some wiring internal in the tank. Seed no dividers visible with a flashlight. Looks like the first step is to remove the tank and rid it of any possible bad gas. I will try to do that tomorrow and report on results. Thanks.

Dump the gas into a bucket and let it settle for some time. If there's any water present, you'll see it as puddles that gather in the bottom of the bucket, this way you'll know. It may be necessary to siphon off the top part of the bucket after letting it settle for a while to see the water puddles in the bucket.

OK, removed the tank and virtually all the gas. It was impossible to get every drop out with this system. I shook all I could out. There was debris in the fuel, not excessive but more than I would have thought. Look almost like small paint chips even though they were not as they were soft to the touch. Probably about 40 very small pieces in all. My neighbor thought it was insignificant. I reinstalled everything and went and got new gas, 5 gallons, and added some fuel injector cleaner that said safe for all engines as well as some "heet", gas dryer. I strarted the bike and let it idle for a solid ten minutes and it idled fine. Got on the bike and it runs like new. It was indeed the gas. Thanks Glider, you saved me lots of trouble again. THANK YOU. The tank was very easy to remove and if I ever remove or add a TFI I think I would just remove it rather than working around it. Maybe 15 minutes total to remove and less it reinstall. I feel much better!

Glad you found the problem and you're squared away again.:s

I think I would bring it to the attention of the gas station what happened.

OK, removed the tank and virtually all the gas. It was impossible to get every drop out with this system. I shook all I could out. There was debris in the fuel, not excessive but more than I would have thought. Look almost like small paint chips even though they were not as they were soft to the touch. Probably about 40 very small pieces in all. My neighbor thought it was insignificant. I reinstalled everything and went and got new gas, 5 gallons, and added some fuel injector cleaner that said safe for all engines as well as some "heet", gas dryer. I strarted the bike and let it idle for a solid ten minutes and it idled fine. Got on the bike and it runs like new. It was indeed the gas. Thanks Glider, you saved me lots of trouble again. THANK YOU. The tank was very easy to remove and if I ever remove or add a TFI I think I would just remove it rather than working around it. Maybe 15 minutes total to remove and less it reinstall. I feel much better!
I have heard stories about don't gas up at the station if you see the refueling truck. Supposedly, the refueling stirs up the junk in the station's tank. Could be the reason an otherwise reliable station gave you a shot of junky gas.

Bernhard

Yes, this station has always been my stop as they are known for pure gas and higher octane. I will not count them out, although I will wait a week ot two before I gas up there agin. I will also let them know what happened as Glider suggested. I am just glad I have it resolved.

Back