free website stats program need help quick | Harley Davidson Forums

need help quick

hi guys

i am jumping over from the dyna side of the forum. I have the opportunity to buy a 2007 nightrod with 4500 miles. I have to make a decision by saturday. My issue is i don't know much about the v rod harleys. I assume with 4500 miles not much is probably wrong, but i was hoping someone here could give me some things to look for when I ride it on saturday.

thanks again

Joe

Just a note the 2007 was first year for the night rod, the engine is 1130cc not 1250cc witch started in 2008, other then that not much has changed ,the 1130cc engine as far as HP and TQ numbers are concerned are not that much a part, As far as 4500 miles that is a drop in the bucket, there are plenty of of 1130cc Revo engines out ther beyond the 100,000 mile mark, Just go down to any harley dealer and speak to a service manager and ask how many Vrods in general come in for other then service related appintments ,take a look around and see how many vrods are in the waiting area of the service dept and ask if you can take a look in the service dept and see what on the lifts.and talk with other Vrod owners. The Revo engine and Vrod has been around 10yrs now , and HD can firmly say its a great machine with a proven history , Commn problems on Vrods are gas gauge reading are sparatic and components neet to be cleaned or changed periodicly to get correct fuel readings , front springs to soft ,Progressive springs are about 90 us dollors and mak a world of dif. the last commen issue is the bike does not like to cruise down main street with out sparatic Idle in stock form a good tunner will take care of that ,in genral these bike like to rev high the higher they rev the better the bike runs running at 4000 rpms is like a air cooled harley running at 2400- rpms soo your the riding style will have to change.another words the bike hits 90mph in second gear.

awesome info thank you .that is the stuff i am looking for because i will be test riding the thing down a city street and be thinking there is something really wrong had you not told me that.

thanks again

just found out this is the nightrod Speical edition. what is the difference??

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually 2006 was the first year of the Night Rod (VRSCD)
The Night Rod Special (VRSCDX)

The Difference between the 2 are

Night Rod (VRSCD) has mid controls and a 180 rear tire
Night Rod Special (VRSCDX) has forward controls and a 240 rear tire

There were a lot of changes in 2008
1250cc upped from the 1130cc
Slipper clutch (reduced clutch lever effort by 20%)
Feedback efi (02 sensors)
ABS option (Anti-lock Brakes)
Higher CCA battery
Compression release exhaust cams no longer used

All good info on the night rod history and what has been up graded since ,but you forgot to add that when the 240 tire was introduced the frame got wider and this led to in my opinion the Vrods best ever upgrade( The 5 gallon fuel cell) . I rather the 180 tire but would not give up the 5 gallons of fuel .

All good info on the night rod history and what has been up graded since ,but you forgot to add that when the 240 tire was introduced the frame got wider and this led to in my opinion the Vrods best ever upgrade( The 5 gallon fuel cell) . I rather the 180 tire but would not give up the 5 gallons of fuel .

2007 and 2008 VRSCD (Night Rod) had the 180 tire with the 5 gallon tank

A few other problems to check for...

Speedometer fluctuates or bounces. Might not seem like much in the beginning but does get annoying after a few long rides. Harley is aware of this problem now and does acknowledge it.

Engine oil leaks. I have a 2011 and it's been in the shop since Aug for a rear cylinder oil leak. They are changing everything on the back cylinder because they can't determine the true cause.

The bike is awesome when it's working properly. I love the bike but am really getting fed up with the problems.

Back