free website stats program need help on a few ? | Harley Davidson Forums

need help on a few ?

chuck60

Today I got a ride in for the first time in a week, the temp was 72, my air gage on the the inside faring read 102, why would that be? (2) I have read on here how some people say the new trans is much quite,er, mine is as thumping as any of the 3 other Harley's I've had. This one is a 2012 street glide and I use spectro heavy duty in it. (3) I seem to get alot of back fire with this one, it is completly stock and has 2500 on it. Any help with any of these ?'s would be great. Thanks Charlie

Not sure about the air temp gauge or the trans, however, if by backfireing you mean "decel popping", that would be normal (I believe) for the stock new 103 engines....they are way lean due to EPA regs.

Not sure about the air temp gauge or the trans, however, if by backfireing you mean "decel popping", that would be normal (I believe) for the stock new 103 engines....they are way lean due to EPA regs.

it is the decel popping, thanks.

Check for exhaust leaks, add a some fuel to the beast. The popping should go away. It will run better and cooler with more fuel too.
I havent heard many people say anything good about the temp gauge.

rreplace the air temp gage with a oil temp gage. then you have something usefull. most people can judge the OAT out-side air temp.

Check for exhaust leaks, add a some fuel to the beast. The popping should go away. It will run better and cooler with more fuel too.
I havent heard many people say anything good about the temp gauge.

Totally agree. My '03 Ultra was notorious for decal popping. It did it for years. I then added more fuel with the Dobeck TFI and it completely stopped doing that. Amen! That used to drive me crazy. The bike now runs better, cooler, and sounds better too!:)
I gave up on my air gauge. It is a ballpark figure, that's all. I wouldn't mind doing what others have done by replacing it with an oil temperature gauge. Maybe someday I will.

Back