free website stats program Need Help...Normal Oil Usage??? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need Help...Normal Oil Usage???

Also go out and run fingers around tail pipes dry black is ok wet aint

its the reason i will never have a 110 motor to many issues

never say never them 110 axtel think that was the name cylinders are about bullet proof they say

Last edited:
I'm not saying you don't have a problem, but I've had a couple of new harleys, that I thought I had a oil usage problem, that didn't. One thing I did was mark the dipstick and always check it when it was cold. Checking it at differenet operating tempertures can make a big difference on the stick. Another is always check it when the bike is in the same spot, like in your garage. Sometimes when your checking your oil away from home, it may look like level ground, but it might slant somewhat giving you a false reading. In my case, after checking oil cold and making sure the ground was level, my oil usage was a lot less than I first thought.
Hope this helps Jonnierock

I'm not saying you don't have a problem, but I've had a couple of new harleys, that I thought I had a oil usage problem, that didn't. One thing I did was mark the dipstick and always check it when it was cold. Checking it at differenet operating tempertures can make a big difference on the stick. Another is always check it when the bike is in the same spot, like in your garage. Sometimes when your checking your oil away from home, it may look like level ground, but it might slant somewhat giving you a false reading. In my case, after checking oil cold and making sure the ground was level, my oil usage was a lot less than I first thought.
Hope this helps Jonnierock

I check mine both cold before I leave and hot after I return after it sits for
15 min. My most important check is the day after I return because I compare these. I think this is my most accurate reading point. I also check it in the same spot in the garage, the floor is level in both directions.

man i just hate to hear about a brand new bike giving problems and the dealer not fixing the problem......i've herd about the 110 motor having lotts of issues....how can S&S build a 124 and not have issues?

I am not overfilling it.
My reading tonight on it cold not having been started for a few days is
5 x on the stick out of 7x. Now my issue with oil usage has been from day one. This recent cycle of measuring the oil started after I got it back from the dealer (trying to figure out what is wrong with it). When it came home I checked it cold in a spot in my garage where I always check it (LEVEL SURFACE) and it was at 7 X FULL. Now after 350 miles it is down to 5x.

Back