free website stats program Need help! New rider coaching! | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help! New rider coaching!

I think everyone should have to ride a motorcycle! It may knock some sense into some of the more reckless and ignorant drivers out there. Once you don't have 3,000lbs of metal around you - you can't be as crazy! My husband was concerned with my getting a MC licence however, he and I have found that it's improved my driving and made me more cautious and aware of everything around me. He always said I was a good driver but I had bouts of road rage that you just can't have when you're riding a bike. Remaining calm and in control when some KNOB cuts you off on a bike is a challenge but I'd rather be safe than dead because I didn't something stupid in reaction to someone else's stupidity! Start small and work her way up - it will make her a more confident rider. I started on a Rebel, went to a Sporty then recently to a Street Glide and I've been riding less than 2 years. It can be done and size (of the bike!) is irrelavant when you have the skills and confidence.

I can feel your pain. My wife has also expressed an interest in getting her motorcycle License. I took the MSF course and she would also do that, and I would be cool with letting them do all the teaching. She also is good with a Rebel for a bike.

My problem is her regular driving skills scare me to death. She tailgates, doesn't watch her speed, and reacts badly in emergency situations. Her reaction to going into a skid in the snow is to let go of the wheel.... jamb on the brakes and shut her eyes. Seriously.. She has also torn off the camper trailer door, run over lawn ornaments and run into trees with the lawnmower.

As much as I would love to have her ride I would be able to forgive myself if she got seriously hurt.

LOL! If she happens to drive over to the North Conway area please let me know well in advance!

After the course you are not ready to run through downtown Chicago. Take your bike and practice in a neighborhood or parking lot. You need to get comfortable with the controls and the sequence of events necessary to control the bike. There is no set time that makes it work. You will know when you are comfortable and move out to back roads. You learn soon enough that you have to pay attention when riding but you want that to be automatic enough to have fun while riding.

Gearjamster;
Have her watch the Palladino Ride Like a Pro promo video. Jerry's wife (or GF?) is an itty bitty and she throws a large HD around like it's a Honda 50.
WAP.gif

My wife started on her own last season, started with the coures that was a bit tough at the start for her ( smaller bikes ) then took off on her own 750 honda shadow, was not at all too big of bike. If you get swayed into a small bike to start borrow one or rent one to get started. I too am nervous as all get out but hey if she wants to do it this could be her new passion and how great would that be for the two of you. Start slow thats what we are doing.

Learning to ride is a great experience you get to relive through your wife, girlfriend or child. Beware of HD Riders Edge programs they are there to sell you stuff, but still have educational value, Don't over look STAR Programs, they have some good instructors, even if I don't agree with "all" there teachings. My wife learned two wheels on our property, we had 11 acres and I made a track around it with gravel, sand pits, curves and jumps, when she could make good time around it, then and not until then I put a plate on her bike. She took her driver test on her bike when there were full grown men showing up on dirt bikes for the test because they were unsure of passing it on their Hogs, well she passed with flying colors, not all the men did. Then she found if she got me to ride one of her girlfriends on my bike she could beat me, "sometimes". Then a friend of mine taught her not to up shift till the rpm's were through the roof, then she beat me all the time, well nothing a new cam and a little gearing on my bike couldn't fix. She did have many years behind me seeing everybody in cages try to kill us, so she had the basic tools, I instilled in her that every cage out there is aiming for you, expect it. Can't tell you how proud I am of her, not because she's a girl but because she's one heck of a biker.

My 2 cents: hold off on worrying about how she'll do until after she takes the course! She may just surprise you...

And, in the course she will be learning on a smaller bike; like a Honda Rebel 250. I don't think any of the bikes in the MSF class are over 250cc. Trained professionals can take people that have ZERO experience and give them the tools and awareness they need to be able to handle a motorcycle.

Give us an update after the course is done.

My wife took played around on a smaller bike to see if the interest was there and understand how to work a clutch and throttle on a bike before taking the Riders edge course. She wanted confidence before going to the couse. My wife told me that was her biggest challenge...simple confidence.

If you gal is motivated and confident to learn a new skill, and she knows that she wants that skill...you're all good. As posted, there are some potential physical issues dealing the rider/motorcycle interaction with center of gravity, rider height/leg length, physcal strength righting a leaning bike, and clutch/brake lever reach and pull weight. Whatever your appoach, keep her motivated to keep wanting to learn when she gets scared or frustrated. Your the best judge of your relationship with regard to you or someone else teaching. For me, it was better to let a third party teach the basics. We just bought a used 2002 Dyna low rider for my wife before the winter and she loves it. We bought it from a woman who took the safety/riding course but she then got scared on the open road. I talk to many people who have done just that same thing. So, if anything, think back and remember the things that may have made you uneasy when you were first learning and be ready to offer support over instruction. Another biker on the road is a good thing for the rest of us! Getting liscense and a basic skill set is pretty easy. Becoming a confident and safe rider takes more time than you think.

Hey All, this is an update from the original post I started on Feb. 8, 2009. Here we are a year later, a set of 16" ape hangers and some nice exhaust, and I CANNOT believe how well she is doing! My friends are always making the same comment, "she looks likes she's been riding for years". We took two big trips within a month of her finishing her riders edge course (both were 1k weekends), had a fellow rider go down right in front of her (scratched elbow, and a bent footpeg, very lucky) and she handled it like a seasoned pro. And to my suprise, she mentioned that, after I installed the ape hangers, she became alot more comfortable and had more control of her Dyna. After reading my original post again, its nice to be able breath a sigh of relief, and enjoy this new era in our relationship! And thank you to all of you who posted supportive and helpful comments!

P.S. There is one downside, maintaining and customizing 2 bikes has proven to be a bit more costly!...but well worth it!!

09Gldr - someone to share the joy...open road, wind in your face...maintenance for two bikes, expensive? Try Priceles ABSOLUTELY !!! Can't get better than that! :newsmile092:

Back