free website stats program Need help! New rider coaching! | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help! New rider coaching!

My husband had similar reservations about me riding. When I met him 23 years ago I had just bought myself a Yamaha Maxim 400 and promptly dumped it going around a corner (gravel) while hitting the front brake...oops! Didn't ride again until 2 years ago.
My husband used to teach motorcycle training however he suggested I take a course rather than him teach me. It was the best thing I ever did - I took the novice, traffic and advanced courses and plan on taking the advanced course every couple of years to stay on top of my skills.
I started on a Honda 150 in the novice course then progresssed to a Honda Rebel 250 which I rode for about 4 months before moving up to the 883 Sporty - I rode my Sporty for just over a year then 8 weeks ago bought an 09 Street Glide - which I absolutely LOVE!
Riding fast is easy - it's mastering the slow speeds that is a huge challenge for me - I still don't completely trust myself or the bike that it won't fall over and the weight can be a little intimdating at times! Some female friends (one is an instructor) will be taking me out to a parking lot to practice next week so I can improve my skills and gain confidence. Practice is the key and be confident but not overly confident - your skills may be excellent however, it's the other people on the road you have to watch for!

Last edited:
Well said Darmon...even "seasoned" riders practice a lot with the slow speed stuff to warm up their skills, especially after "winter storage" which allows our skills to wane a bit. But the higher speed stuff should be reserved for the race track or steadily worked on, if pushing beyond your 7/10 riding ability "zone".

As far as apes...it is a matter of rider development and getting used to them. Frankly, I tried them and did not like them, but it really is a matter of choice and matching "looks" at the expense of "performance". Anything that moves the center of gravity and rider controls outward will affect handling and takes getting used too.

Last edited:
Good thread. I've had a few whispering in my ear that the shovel might be too big a bike to learn on, as I am now doing, but my buddy's small bike felt squirrely. The HD is steady.

I'm taking that MSF course in about 2 weeks - can't wait!

Nuclear, you are probably going to be stuck with a small bike when you take the MSF course. It takes some adjustment if you have started to learn to ride on a heavier bike. I asked if I could ride my Honda Shadow Sabre at the MSF course when I was first learning to ride and the MSF instructors absolutely refused on the ground that the bike was "too heavy." So, I did the course on a little Honda Rebel and then spent the rest of my time between classes practicing on my Sabre. It all turned out well and I now ride a Gold Wing and a Road Glide.

No worries Nuclear...ABILITY + RESOURCES + TIME add up to success. A small bikes to start just builds confidence, larger bikes come naturally when your skill set matches your needs, so just be patient.

I can feel your pain. My wife has also expressed an interest in getting her motorcycle License. I took the MSF course and she would also do that, and I would be cool with letting them do all the teaching. She also is good with a Rebel for a bike.

My problem is her regular driving skills scare me to death. She tailgates, doesn't watch her speed, and reacts badly in emergency situations. Her reaction to going into a skid in the snow is to let go of the wheel.... jamb on the brakes and shut her eyes. Seriously.. She has also torn off the camper trailer door, run over lawn ornaments and run into trees with the lawnmower.

As much as I would love to have her ride I would be able to forgive myself if she got seriously hurt.

No problem I can see Scrinch...sometimes those lawn elfs need re-arranging now and then...:bigsmiley22: but I think once she takes the MSF course she will become a better cager as well...!

Most riders improve their driving skills because the "survival techniques" work even better in a car...head checks, using the IPDE techniques, maintaining safety zone in front, back and sides! You will both be happier, and safer...no doubt about it. :s

No problem I can see Scrinch...sometimes those lawn elfs need re-arranging now and then...:bigsmiley22: but I think once she takes the MSF course she will become a better cager as well...!

Most riders improve their driving skills because the "survival techniques" work even better in a car...head checks, using the IPDE techniques, maintaining safety zone in front, back and sides! You will both be happier, and safer...no doubt about it. :s

I'm with you on that one about becoming a safer cager once you're learned to ride properly: I had a bit of a debate with my wife recently because I've taken to doing a quick "life saver" over-the-shoulder glance when moving out a lane on the drivers side in the car. I used to just use my side mirrors but as with the bike - there is a blind spot to remember. She reckons it's more dangerous because I'm taking my eyes off the road ahead of me. I don't agree, it takes literally 1-2 seconds and I do NOT switch lane on my bike without a quick LS glance. IMO I think it's safer.

Let her go on her own ,don't make her nervous . My bride drives like a women bent on destruction in her car but on a bike now she is fine. She road a sporty for a few years and we sold it to upgrade ,,now her concern is weight,she's a small girl so big and bulky scares her so make sure the bike fits ,,, be safe

Back