free website stats program Need help. Motor won't start | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help. Motor won't start

Im in the process of putting bagger apes on my 08'flhx. I ran the wires through the bars. All of the switches work. The motor just turns over but will not start. I am going crazy. I don't understand why it won't start. Any ideas?

When you say all the switches work, what are you basing this on? When you turn the Ign. on and the run switch to run do you hear the fuel pump run? Does the headlight come on and the turn signals work?

The easiest way of rechecking your wiring is to do a continuity test from the switches to the plug under the tank and see if you have a circuit through the bars on each wire. Sometimes the wire can separate when pulling them through the bars or even ground out at the hole where they enter the bars.
This is where the factory manual comes in handy for the wire colors.

I did find three bad connections on the right side fixed them. And lights turn signal horn starter switch works. Bike will try to start in run position but will not try to start in kill position. Which leads me to believe that it is all working properly. Just pulled a few codes. For P (ECM) it says no response. In the t mode it's gives me code U1040 and in b mode it gives me c1216

I did find three bad connections on the right side fixed them. And lights turn signal horn starter switch works. Bike will try to start in run position but will not try to start in kill position. Which leads me to believe that it is all working properly. Just pulled a few codes. For P (ECM) it says no response. In the t mode it's gives me code U1040 and in b mode it gives me c1216

Here's the key for the codes.

Harley Davidson Community

I would check the wiring on the run switch with a meter.

DTC: U1064
FAULT CONDITION: Loss of TSM/TSSM/HFSM Serial Data

C1216 Rear brake switch open

Ok I just cleared the codes and the only one that is coming back is the ECM. No response. the other codes must have been old because when I tried to start the bike and checked again the codes went away

DTC: U1064
FAULT CONDITION: Loss of TSM/TSSM/HFSM Serial Data

C1216 Rear brake switch open[/QUOTE]

My bike doesn't have a security system. Hmm?????

So the check engine light does not come on for 4 seconds when you flip the Kill switch to RUN. As HDDon asked, you also don't get a fuel pump prime when you boot the ECM?

Back