free website stats program Need help in buying my first Harley | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help in buying my first Harley

I didn't see these at first. I'd still go used as Dolt suggested but if you insist on getting a new one, you're asking at the right time. Dealers are starting to want to clear out the leftover 2014/2015 bikes to make space for the 2016's. I'd check things out and see if any dealers have 14/15 883's on the floor and see if they are willing to haggle on a price.
Not sure where the fixed price thing is coming from, though. I think even with new, they are willing to work with you a bit but sportsters may be the exception. I was able to talk my dealer down from 13k to 9k and they cut the delivery and setup charges last year on my used 06 Fatty.

Delivery and setup on a 06 fatboy? I've never paid that on a used motorcycle.

Delivery and setup on a 06 fatboy? I've never paid that on a used motorcycle.

Never bought a bike before so I didn't know it was odd. Maybe they pulled the wool over my eyes and put it on there expecting me to insist they remove it. None of this really matters anyway. I skipped the part where he was talking about a sporty and yeah, they are the bread and butter bike for HD and are already priced low enough to get most people into a motorcycle that they will likely outgrow and trade in for a much heftier price tag.

Typically, a new model left over from a previous year after the release of the new models will sell easily for $1000 less that the original MSRP. Anything more will require tougher negotiating.

If I was the OP, I would be looking for a 1200, not the 883.:s

I'd shop the classifies for something used. 883 Iron is a good start but, take your time and really think about how you will use the bike. Any 2 up? Jumping to and from work a few miles or to the gym or bar? Plan on riding out to any rallies or destinations?

A lot of used machines will have accessories and or modifications that can be thrown in for the sale. Maybe they have a service manual etc?

A lot of that stuff cost you and doesn't get recovered on resell so, benefit from that as a buyer.

Some folks have updated their Iron to a 1200 and done some other stage 1 or more power mods. Maybe suspension or other things like saddle bags?

So surf the web and learn more about Sportsters or other models and be patient.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Ps. This forum is a great asset for tips and helpful information that you may not get at a dealer. Search other threads or post up some questions and I'm sure you'll find all the support you need.

Cheers!

jamesearl...if they pay you by check you dont have to report it, the bank will. if they pay you in cash, you dont have to report it because the bank wont know...

jamesearl...if they pay you by check you dont have to report it, the bank will. if they pay you in cash, you dont have to report it because the bank wont know...
It's the feds who want to know.Not with personal transactions,but a dealer has to report 10k cash or more,some states it's 5k

Hi,

Thanks you so much guys for all the suggestions!

I was able to get a better deal from a different dealer,
brought down the total from 13k to 10k and bike even has ABS and security package!

Its basically a new 2015 Iron883 with ABS, security and Pillion seat and backrest for 10k.
I feel its a sweet deal.

Going to the dealership today or tomorrow to sign the agreement

Back