free website stats program Need help for installing tour pack on a street glide | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help for installing tour pack on a street glide

Sglide08

I purchased a tour pack from a gentelman in Fl. that came off of an 08 Ultra. I have an 08 Street Glide that I am wanting to install it on to make the ride up to Sturgis this year easier on my wife. I called Harley and asked them if there was a wiring harness that I needed to connect the tour pack to my street glide. There is a harness (p/n 70169-06) that will connect the radio to the speakers on the tour pack but I don't think it includes the connection for the brake lights on the tour pack. My question is, has anyone installed a tour pack on a street glide and if so, am I on the right track. I've never viewed a tour pack up close so I don't know if there is a connection from the pack that connects to the bike for the brake lights. I'm not to concerned about the radio antenna connection, cb radio, or communication connections. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.

Don't know if this is any help but here's a detachable plug for the lights if your going detachable, and if you have a Electrical Diagnostic manual it will give you the color coding for wiring the lights. I'm sure Smitty's pic's will help alot also.
View attachment Tour Pak detach lighting harness-J04524.pdf

This is the plug the dealer told you about.
70169-06 Allows installation of Bike-to-Bike Communications, Intercom, XM® Satellite Radio Kit or Rear Speaker components.
Fits '06-later FLHT, FLHX, FLHTC and FLTR models equipped with Advanced Audio Radio.

Just to let everyone know how my progression is going on installing the tour pack on my bike, I went to my local Harley dealer to ask some questions and gather a few part numbers. After a few moments I left there $400 dollars lighter. I had to buy the tour pack mount, then the detachable mount that actually connects the pack to the bike, a wiring harness (to control the rear speakers), and a tail light extension. After getting home and stripping the saddle bags, seat, and side panels I installed the right side mount. I go to install the left side mount and guess what is right in my way........you guessed it the antenna. So, now I get to make another run to the dealer and buy an antenna relocation kit. I have to tell you though, that wire harness for the rear speakers (also referred to as a non-ultra overlay harness) is no joke. This thing has several connectors on it that I will never use like XM radio, comms, cb radio and the entire thing is only about 2 feet long. I dont know how in the world I'm going to connect that harness to the stero, run it under the fuel tank, and finish under the seat. Anyway I'll keep you posted.

You'll get it no problem, one thing if you don't like the relocation for the antenna I have friends that have the one that just plugs into the radio and sticks to the inside of the fairing, they've been happy with the performance and the don't cost much.

I hoping this works. I pulled up the instructions for it online and it appears to mount just below its original place, onto the inside of the left saddle bag bar. I currently have a chrome 6" stubby instead of the long whip antenna so I'm hoping it will fit without rubbing anything.

I have the 09 EC Standard and when I took the left side cover off their was, like you said all the wires there for the tour pack speakers and the stock lighting on the tour pack pre-wired. All I had to do was plug it all in and everything worked. Like you I had to buy the tour pack mount (quick release) set up but it all worked. Good luck.

Just to let everyone know how my progression is going on installing the tour pack on my bike, I went to my local Harley dealer to ask some questions and gather a few part numbers. After a few moments I left there $400 dollars lighter. I had to buy the tour pack mount, then the detachable mount that actually connects the pack to the bike, a wiring harness (to control the rear speakers), and a tail light extension. After getting home and stripping the saddle bags, seat, and side panels I installed the right side mount. I go to install the left side mount and guess what is right in my way........you guessed it the antenna. So, now I get to make another run to the dealer and buy an antenna relocation kit. I have to tell you though, that wire harness for the rear speakers (also referred to as a non-ultra overlay harness) is no joke. This thing has several connectors on it that I will never use like XM radio, comms, cb radio and the entire thing is only about 2 feet long. I dont know how in the world I'm going to connect that harness to the stero, run it under the fuel tank, and finish under the seat. Anyway I'll keep you posted.

If you bought the detachable mount, don't forget the lock. It would be very unpleasant if somebody came by and borrowed it after you put so much work and money into it.

Well I found out this morning that the overlay harness that I bought doesn't get routed under the tank, it actually connects to the back of the radio and remains inside the fairing. Thank God! Now all I'm waiting on is my tour pack to arrive so I can determine what harnesses it comes with to connect the speaker pods to the new harness. I also bought a hog antenna that connects to the radio and also remains inside the fairing. No more worrying about relocating the antenna in the rear. More to come as this unfolds.

Back