free website stats program Need help for Fatboy | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help for Fatboy

Randydillman

Hi,
I'm new to the forums, So first I like what I see for helping and talking about the greatest bike.
My friend came over with his bike and said that it won't run. So I look at it ;
1) no Spark at spark plug
2)The odometer is not on when the key is turn to on
3)under the odometer there it a gray wirer that is cut to ground
4) I repaired the cut wirer but still no odometer not turning on
5) I smelled the odometer and it smelled burnt
So can someone help me, I know little about bikes. I do know how to used a Meter (ohm, volts etc)
I don't type good, so please forgive me! HA HA!!!

Start with the basics, check the fuses first. If the battery is low you may not be able to detect spark at plugs, make sure the battery is fully charged. Check and clean battery cable connections to include at the starter.

Welcome to the forum, maybe do a intro in the introduction section of the forum.

Thanks, I have done all of that. I have checked the spark at the spark plug. I have know ideal where is the Crank position Sensor or the camshaft sensor is.

Sorry I don't type very good!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Number 8 is the sensor, it's located on the case behind the oil filter.
HD08FXST013.gif

Sorry it maybe a soft tail, for a 2000 soft tail or fatboy FLSTF (with a 1450cc engine)
Bike model doesn't matter between the Softail and Fatboy....same engine. Jeff provided info as to where to find the Crank Positin Sensor. Could be a bad ignition coil or something as simple as a blown fuse from the wire grounding out. Start with the cheapest solutions first, if you're taking the approach of throwing parts at it...change the CPS, if it still doesn't start, try a new coil.

I'm not a fan of just guessing and throwing parts at something until it's fixed however. I'd rather find out what's truly wrong and address that problem versus replacing things that might not have been bad to begin with. This method may still be cheaper than taking it to a dealer if your competent working on mechanical things, but can also backfire and you end up needing to go to them after throwing parts at it and still not finding a solution. Just my 2 cents....

If the OP wants to work on his or his buddy's bike, the first tool he should get is the factory service manual for the bike.;)Then, start reading.:cool:

I would agree that the crank position sensor could certainly be the culprit and without the service manual, the first place to look considering the symptoms but also knowing that the obvious first suspect may not be the offender.

IIRC, there is a good write up in the "self help" section on checking for a faulty CPS. The early models, particularly 2000 MY was noted for sensor issues.

Last edited:
Back