free website stats program Need help finding float valve seat | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help finding float valve seat

Hades02

I'm working on a 1992 Fatboy with a CV40 carb PN#27038-92 that has a fuel leak issue. Rebuilt the carb and cleaned the valve seat but still leaking. While I was in there, the valve seat opening (the opening that the needle covers to shut off fuel) seemed oblong and not perfectly round but I chalked it up to my vision. Put it all back together and still leaking. I'm thinking the valve seat needs replacing but can't find one and the diagrams don't show this part.

Any help with a part number or info as to where to locate one would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

The seat very seldom gets damaged, but is possible. The tip of the needle is neoprene rubber and deforms or dries out after time, causing a leak. The needle is no longer available from HD, but Dennis Kirk, J&P Cycles, etc. should have them. A needle and seat is about $25.

Pete. The rebuild kit came with a brand new needle. The old needle looked perfect as well but I replaced it anyways just in case. Float level was set to Harley spec using their way of doing it. Carb body at 15 to 20 degrees (I split it at 17) and 11 for the measurement of the float.

Do you happen to have the number for the needle and seat kit?

HD part # 27886-78A (float valve) was used on Fat Boys up to 2005. I would think it is still available. Cost is $20.72 from HD. Bikers Choice, also known as Tucker Rocky has rebuild kit p/n 493351 for 90-06 BT(big twins) Keihin carbs. for $17.45, page # 934 in the 2016 catalog. Never seen a replacement seat for the float valve.
tourbox

I have replaced the float valve seat on one of the mikuni carbs comes in the rebuild kit but have never seen one for the keihin carbs so the only solution may be to replace the carb ??

Brian

Hand lapping and thoro cleaning, modern gas is hard on the tips of the needle

Back