free website stats program Need help... electrical problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help... electrical problem

I installed the HD garage door opener on my 2008 XL 1200L last weekend, and followed the directions to splice into the orange/white wire off the main harness. Now the door opener works, but I have no speedo, engine light, neutral light. The turn signals still work however. Does anybody have any thoughts on why. I tried looking up the exact wire, and as best as I can tell it is the accessory feed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Have you back tracked and looked for anything that might have got disconnected while hooking up to the orange/white wire? Did this happen as soon as you hooked it up?

I did... can't find anything. I even went so far as to cut out the crimp waterproof connector that came with the original kit and replaced it with a soldered connection with heat shrink insulation. All the fuses check out and are in working order. The instrument cluster MOSTLY works (i.e. the turn signs and brights indicator work. The back lighting on the speedo works). What isn't functioning is the check engine light when you turn the start switch to on, the neutral light, and the speedo gauge needle. It's all very strange, as you would expect all or none to work.

Oh, and the garage door opener does work when you flash the brights....

Back