free website stats program need help buying a new tire | Harley Davidson Forums

need help buying a new tire

NickS

So the tire i have now is an Avon Venom-X. On tire marked 150/70B18. It is on a 18" 100 spoke rim. (not sure on the brand or the exact spoke count, was on bike when I bought it) I am not having any luck finding a replacement. Avon says they are out till mid Summer. I have found a lot of 160/60 18. I was curious if any of you know if this would fit. I currently have roughly 1" from edge of tire to belt. Any suggestions I would really appreciated it. I'm suppose to be riding this weekend so time and shipping is an issue.

thanks for the reply hobbit. I think this time im gonna try it. Called the dealer and its only rated at 3-4000 miles so not a huge loss and will get me through half the summer.

Be careful when mixing tires of different sizes, as Hobbit said, it will adjust the geometry of your bike. Even different brands of the same size tire may be dramatically different. Call the tire manufacture for application information. They are very helpful. :newsmile034:

It's a very gray area when replacing a stock tire with a different size. Many things as far as clearance come into play and most of all don't forget the way a tire grows at speed or the way it can flex on high speed curves either. What looks fine standing still can be a different story at 80 MPH and you may find out the hard way. This is why I don't comment on some things , too many variables.

with a little bit of luck I finally found the right rear tire. I have to tell ya the chrome axel cover that was red lock tighted down was a real pain in the butt to get off. 2 busted knuckles later I got her apart and to the shop today. Hopefully going to get it put back together tonight.

Hopefully the Avon tire you found is very close to the original tire dimensions and matches the front...always best to not go up more than one size unless the rims and tires have been check for clearance. In the rear, make sure the rear tail, signals and license lamp wiring are tucked in the wire loom under the fender. Common problem, the oversized tire can contact the loom or wire and "rip the whole works out of there". :(

I would not use Red Loctite...unless it is for a fastener you want to be there a long time...nor would I reuse fasteners that had Red Loctite on them, imagine how hard those tough fasteners will be to remove in a couple of years with the edges of the flats slightly rounded. Use the Blue Loctite, if the Red "cures" watch out...busted knuckles are not nearly as painful as "stripped threads or frozen fasteners." :17:

I've used the red on only one place on my bike... The left side footpeg. I have expandable footpegs that fold out... and when your foot rests on the left side in the fold out position it seems to want to unscrew it. I personally think HD should reverse thread the leftside footpeg. But since they didn't... I gave it a squirt of the red stuff.. I hope i don't regret it.

Back