free website stats program need help 04 883 backfiring | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

need help 04 883 backfiring

no we changed the filter with the petcock, pretty sure we missed something while we had carb apart or gas thank off, must have reclogged the slow jett is all I can think of. believe they rebuilt the carb when they put the sage 1 kit on. hate to take it to shop but I work 12s so don't have much time. rather just get it fixed and enjoy riding it on off time rather than working on it thanks Brian, pretty sure you are right

The vacuum petcock will not flow any fuel unless there is vacuum present in the carb the engine needs to be turning over to create the vacuum in the carb
As the piston in the engine goes down if the inlet valve is open it will draw air through the carb some of this suction is bled off by the carb to operate the petcock and voes
Older type non vacuum operated petcocks will fit your bike and work but will require the vacuum hose to be plugged

Brian

thank brian, yeah I know about having to turn it over for vacuum it ended up being a hose kinked. now getting gas to carb idols but gas it and it dyes backfires. took it to hd and they said it wasn't getting enough fuel going to tear carb apart, will let you know after I get it back

Doing a rebuild of the carb is the next step for you having a good service manual with you while doing the rebuild Clymer or Hd work for me although I prefer the Clymer
The screws on the float bowl are really soft and the heads often get damaged when removing them but there should be replacements in the rebuild kit although I have replaced all mine with allen headed screws m4 x 12mm I think is the correct size
I hope it all goes well I will be watching for updates to this thread

Brian

i might be late on this one but check the jet sizes if its stage one and check that the slide attached to the diaphragm hasn't been drilled !!! - i replaced every slide on my sports if they had been drilled ran sooooo much smoother and no flutter on the carb - mind my last sporty carb was a mix and match of stock, stock big twin, and dyno jet - went like stink ran out of RPMS in 5th at 140

Back