free website stats program Need education | Harley Davidson Forums

Need education

FLST

When the manual says check continuity between two points is it referring to ohms? "Is continuity present?" Does that mean no resistance, or much resistance?

It means how much resistance is between point A & B. Example: if you took both leads and touch one another that would be a dead short. So with that in mind a wire going from point A to B depending on the gauge and lenth of the wire would give you the resistence which is read in Ohms. If you were going from point A to point B and then cut the wire it would show a open. Hope that this helped a bit.

When the manual says check continuity between two points is it referring to ohms? "Is continuity present?" Does that mean no resistance, or much resistance?

You check continuity with the ohms meter, or ohms function on a multimeter. No or very low resistance means there is a complete circuit where electricity can flow between the two probes/ends. Some multimeters will beep when this condition is met.

Also when testing your meter on the Ohms scale & you touch the leads together you should read "0"... If you come up with a different number that's the resistance number.

All of the above is correct. Some testers also have a continuity selection where a light comes on OR a buzzer buzzes IF the circuit is continuous (not broken).

An unbroken circuit gives you continuity. But as said you can do it with an ohms test also. The ohms sometimes will not be zero but it should never be very high on good conductor.

Just to throw a wrench in the works here:D, you can have continuity in a circuit but high resistance and the load will not operate. To simplify this if you picture a battery cable and all strands of wire were cut except ONE, you would have continuity but the starter would not operate because of resistance.

Continuity simply states that there is a path in a conductor so don't think if you have continuity that all is OK.

Just to throw a wrench in the works here:D, you can have continuity in a circuit but high resistance and the load will not operate. To simplify this if you picture a battery cable and all strands of wire were cut except ONE, you would have continuity but the starter would not operate because of resistance.

Continuity simply states that there is a path in a conductor so don't think if you have continuity that all is OK.

Hmmm I wish I could remember better but this seems to fall under ambient temperature. I'm no Hoople but I did wire my own home years ago. I think if you tested the one strand with an ohm meter the resistance would still be very low. But the one strand would not be able to carry all the current going thru the one strand and overheat. I believe this is more of a wire size, current flow issue not a resistance thing.

I get it now. I know this is high school science stuff but that was forty years ago. Thanks to all of you for the refresher.

Back