free website stats program Need clutch inspection cover screws | Harley Davidson Forums

Need clutch inspection cover screws

karl55

Hi All, I need some help on my 2008 1200 low.. I stripped three of my torx screws on the clutch inspection cover and one screw on the air clearner...My question is: Were is the best place to buy the screws? Should I go to the dealer or the hardware store? The dealer is only thirty minutes away so going there is no problem?

For Information: I am going to change the transmission/chain lub oil because I just bought the motorcycle and want to change to all synthetic oil. I did change the main oil with Amsoil 20-50w took about 20 minutes no problem.. when I went to change the trans oil with spectro Primary Chaincase oil 85w. I stripped three screws... The torx screw is driving me nuts. I got a set of the torxs from sears and so far have stripped 4 screws all together. I am trying to be careful as I can, but you got to be kidding me 4 screws I've not stripped that many screws in my life time so far.

Thanks for the help..

Replace them with stainless steel allen screws. I had to remove one of the clutch cover torx screws with a chisel. Yea, I know, my fault but now it's fastened with allen screws.

Thanks guys,

Glider, I did use a sears T-27 on two of the screws that stripped. I then went out and bought a T-27 plus from NAPA and removed the other screws without any problem. The set I bought from sears was the Torx plus and so far I've had no problems with them. The removing stripped bolts from the Derby cover I've read, and is my last resort I've ordered a set of Grabits to try first (plan "B") and if that fails then I will go to (plan "C") How to remove stripped bolts from the derby cover...

66cruiser, Changing out the screws was my first thought, but my bike is still under warranty for about another 6 months. I will be going to the HD dealer to get the screws, but When my warranty is up and I am still having problems with the screws then I will change them out for sure...Plan "D".

Thanks guys!!!

Last edited:
Karl I did the same thing with sears torx, so I just drilled the head off the torx bolt and removed the cover and used a vise grip to take out the stud. Was very easy to do.

I have sets of stainless steel allen head bolts for clutch covers with polished heads so they fit with the chrome covers or contrasr better with the black if might be of interest to you

P

Unfortunately when two disimilar metals (even stainless, if in contact w/ aluminum) and air/moisture gets in, corrosion occurs. To prevent this, when putting on the fasteners into cast aluminum, use sealer, anti-seize or thread locker compounds depending on your application and torque to specification (tensions fastener and helps make "air tight" connection).

Hi Guys,

Ok I got the Grabits and it worked on my screw connected to the air clearner, but when it removed the screw it also snaped like a twig. Now for the clutch cover I went with plan "C" drilled out the screw heads according to Glider and Recharger, and that worked great. I was able to remove the screws with my fingers without any problem changed the trans oil and replaced the cover with new screws and then test drove the motorcycle and no oil leaks so I am now ready to ride again...Thanks for all your help and suggestions....they all worked perfect. One point: After changing the trans oil to spectro I really did not notice a difference. Maybe it's because I did not ride the motorcycle enough...Will see Friday if it does not rain I will take a longer ride...Again Thanks for all the help!!!!

It's about the easiest way of removing the broken screws in a derby cover that I found and it works!

Glad it helped you out.

Back