free website stats program Need advise for Sturgis Rally '08 trip | Harley Davidson Forums

Need advise for Sturgis Rally '08 trip

StuckInTime

Howdy folks. I'm planning on going to the Sturgis Rally this year. One of my buddies who has been was telling me that camping can cost over $1500/person. Does anybody have any input on this or suggestions for where to tent camp? How about the must see / must do list while there?

Going to Sturgis is something I've wanted to do for MANY years, and it looks like this year I can finally make it happen. I just want to be as financially prepared as possible, and make sure that I take full advantage of being there. Any advise or input from some of you 'experienced' travelers would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Going to Sturgis is not a cheap proposition. I went for the first time last year and stayed in a hotel in Rapid City. I had to pay up front six months in advance. Beers are in the neighborhood of $4/each. Check out the websites for cost. I did run into some guys that came with no reservations and were able to negotiate a much better deal than I had. I don't know much about camping. My 59 year old back can't take it any more. It is a lot of fun and the riding is outstanding in that area.

Ok, I didn't tell you this because my riding partners will kill me for passing this on, and it may be to late, but the park service has lodges and cabins and they don't raise thier prices rally week. We found this out 2 years ago and have a three bedroom cabin for 8 of us at one of the stage park areas for under 300 bucks a night.

If you check Custer State Parks web site they have the Sylvan Lake Lodge, the State Game Lodge, the Legion Lake Lodge and the Blue Bell Lodge. and if they still have rooms or cabins available, they are a bargain.

Once again, don't want to give away my riding buddies secrets, but if you're looking for a quiet, beautiful, relaxing place for a beer on the way home after a long day of riding, the Sylvan Lake Lodge has a very nice quiet dining room with an outdoor patio where one can have a beer and enjoy a beautiful, quiet view.

Enjoy your trip.

You have to do it at least once.
6 of us (3 couples) took a large Motorhome and trailered the bikes out last Aug. We stayed at a campground south of Rapid City about 15 miles. Campsite cost us $625 for the week. Sure we were about 50 miles from Sturgis, but we were real close to all the great riding areas. Your gonna pay big money to get in close, but if ridin' is your thing, go out a ways and you get a reasonable rate.
Honestly, one of the most enjoyable trips we ever made.:yes:yes

We have stayed in Newell. 20 miles north of Sturgis. Friendly town, a few places to camp, we stayed at the RNR campground. $12-$14 per person per night. They do have some air-conditioned cabin, but you might need to reserve ahead. Wide open space, but friendly bar, walking distance to town bar. A couple of places to eat, gas stations, liquor store, what else do you need?

$1500 for camping:shock
I wonder where this guy "camped" or if he has even been to Sturgis.
Glencoe Resort is a great camping area, lots of extra "activities" and an easy walk to the Full Throttle Saloon. A wristband for the full ten days can be purchased online for $175 - you bring your tent.

I forget where my buddy stayed, maybe buffalo something or other, heck I don't remember. I've never been there so I won't pretend to know the places. However, he said it was a package deal he bought into that also gave him admission to all the concerts, etc.

As it turns out, I'm not sure my buddies can make the trip, so now I'm not sure we are going. If the Sturgis Rally doesn't work out then I'm hoping to talk them into going to the 105th reunion. I went to the 95th reunion back in '98 and it was fantastic. The folks in Milwaukee were so nice, and there is nothing better than seeing so many bikes! However, going to the Sturgis Rally has always been a dream of mine so if I can't make it out this year I am going next year for sure. And if I can't make the Sturgis Rally this year then I will go to the 105th with our without my buddies.

I forget where my buddy stayed, maybe buffalo something or other, heck I don't remember. I've never been there so I won't pretend to know the places. However, he said it was a package deal he bought into that also gave him admission to all the concerts, etc.

As it turns out, I'm not sure my buddies can make the trip, so now I'm not sure we are going. If the Sturgis Rally doesn't work out then I'm hoping to talk them into going to the 105th reunion. I went to the 95th reunion back in '98 and it was fantastic. The folks in Milwaukee were so nice, and there is nothing better than seeing so many bikes! However, going to the Sturgis Rally has always been a dream of mine so if I can't make it out this year I am going next year for sure. And if I can't make the Sturgis Rally this year then I will go to the 105th with our without my buddies.

Maybe the Buffalo Chip campground?

The last two years and again this year my campground of choice was No Name City RV park and campground... $180 per person

flush toilet, showers, wash rack, pool, hot tub, laundry, shuttle service to concerts, 24 hr snack bar, pool tables, some shade... close to downtown Sturgis ....sturgiscamping . com

See ya there...

Maybe the Buffalo Chip campground?
Yep, that sounds like the one.

The last two years and again this year my campground of choice was No Name City RV park and campground... $180 per person

flush toilet, showers, wash rack, pool, hot tub, laundry, shuttle service to concerts, 24 hr snack bar, pool tables, some shade... close to downtown Sturgis ....sturgiscamping . com

See ya there...

Good information - thanks!! I'll look into that, it sounds very affordable.

Back