free website stats program Need Advice on Road Glide Fall Away | Harley Davidson Forums

Need Advice on Road Glide Fall Away

revok1200

I have read the self help section and now want some advice from those with RoadGlides who have done this procedure themselves.

As far as I can tell I am doing everything according to the manual. Bike is off the ground and level, pinch bolts are loosened, fork nut is loose, nothing is obstructing the swing, and I have made the 16" rod with the bend in the end to adjust the star nut.

Here is the problem. I can get the fallaway to the proper spec. (Start at left, swing right, swing left, swing partial right and stop). However, as soon as I torque (70ft lbs) (spec is 60-80 in book) the top nut it negates the fallaway. Book says to repeat until proper spec. achieved.

Definition of insanity (performing the same action repeatedly with the same result and expecting a different result to occur). This is how I feel.

Any advice?

I did not have that problem when I did mine earlier this year on my 2004 Ultra. Could the fork nut be too loose when adjusting the star? Maybe having a helper so that you can ensure the star does not move while torquing the nut?

Well, I finally got it as close as I think I can. Had to slim down the rod on the end and actually loosen the star nut enough that when I tightened the fork nut everything came into spec. Know clunking or clicking in the front end and everything feels tight even over bumps and rough road.

Back