free website stats program Need advice on rear header exhaust pipe. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need advice on rear header exhaust pipe.

anything is worth a try. being a boilermaker/welder for 40 years, i have seen some strange things. big thing to remember here is cleanliness before you start. wire brush out the carbon and use a good S6 filler metal. this refers to the silicone content of the filler. it will help float out impurities. a mild steel as opposed to a high tensile steel will be more forgiving. oxy/acetylene would be my choice as you can warm a larger area to eliminate local heat stress. let us know how it goes. AND DON"T COOL IT OFF WITH THE HOSE!!!!
;-)
Oh I wouldn't do THAT! I'm gonna quench it under running cold water!!:p

Thanks all for chiming in on that. I appreciated it. I'm going to go with a whole new "improved" kit where the mounting tab is NOT directly incorporated into the pipe itself but from what they told me it will be affixed with a hose clamp which will have more give to it. I hope! :D
HC

Last edited by a moderator:
. The newer bikes have a redesigned bracket to support the rear pipe to minimize this problem.

Glider,
I think I am hearing a leak in my exhaust. The "newer bikes" what year/month would that be? On a preliminary look with a mirror and a flashlight there could be a small crack in the "Y" I need to investigate further. Bike has 27,700 on it just got back from a 1,700 mile road trip, did not notice the problem before I left. Also starting to get a little more popping on decel. Comments?

Thanks Lancer

I honestly don't know what year they started with the newer support bracket but if you look in the crotch of the"Y" on the rear pipe where it splits, you'll see the crack if it is starting there. It's very obvious even in it's early stages.

The redesigned support was started quite a few years back.

Thanks, I will check further, just a little tsk-ing sound now, but I doubt it's gonna get any better on it's own.

Glider,
I think I am hearing a leak in my exhaust. The "newer bikes" what year/month would that be? On a preliminary look with a mirror and a flashlight there could be a small crack in the "Y" I need to investigate further. Bike has 27,700 on it just got back from a 1,700 mile road trip, did not notice the problem before I left. Also starting to get a little more popping on decel. Comments?

Thanks Lancer

Your bike is telling you that it would appreciate it if you would stop bouncing up and down so much in the seat trying to simulate the ride in your helicopter!

:p

Your bike is telling you that it would appreciate it if you would stop bouncing up and down so much in the seat trying to simulate the ride in your helicopter!

:p

Hey! My helicopter is smooth as glass! Well, at least when it is shut down. :s

Back