free website stats program Need advice on lifters | Harley Davidson Forums

Need advice on lifters

barttoday

I just installed the S&S 106 kit on my ride with the S&S 551 easy start cams. I put on adjustable pushrods and I have a question. I adjusted them as directed from TDC on each piston and allowed bleed time before moving on, but when I start and run the bike there is still a ton of noise from the lifters. How long should it take for them to fill up with oil after starting the engine? It is cold here and I am still doing the break in on the new pistons and cylinders. Bike runs like (EDIT) right now but I am taking it to the dyno tomorrow to get a proper map on the SERT for my setup. Should I be concerned with the noisy lifters, or will they eventually fill up with oil and quiet down once I get the engine to temp and broken in?? Thanks.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are similar to automotive lifters, they fill up almost immediately.
What was the adjustment proceedure that you followed.

Not familiar with HD set up. Do the upper rockers get oil from hollow pushrods like they do on autos?

I adjusted the pushrods to where there was no vertical movement in them, then turned them an addl 2.5 turns out as stated in the adjustment instructions that came with them them. (They are the SE adj pushrods). I am not sure where the rockers get oil, but the pushrods I just installed are solid, and the stock non-adjustable ones were hollow.

then turned them an addl 2.5 turns out as stated in the adjustment instructions that came with them them. (They are the SE adj pushrods). I am not sure where the rockers get oil, but the pushrods I just installed are solid, and the stock non-adjustable ones were hollow.

Are you saying you adjusted them 1st to Zero lash (Piston was at TDC of compression stroke) and then increased the pushrods lenght by 2.5 turns.?

Are you absolutely sure that you adjusted both pushrods when the piston was at TDC of compression stroke and Not TDC of valve overlap stroke.

I adjusted the pushrods to where there was no vertical movement in them, then turned them an addl 2.5 turns out as stated in the adjustment instructions that came with them them. (They are the SE adj pushrods). I am not sure where the rockers get oil, but the pushrods I just installed are solid, and the stock non-adjustable ones were hollow.

Are you sure the pushrods are solid? What type of application are they for?

HD engine top ends (rockers, etc.) get lubricating oil up through the hollow pushrods. If your pushrods are not hollow, the top end of your engine is NOT getting lubricated. The oil gets to the top end through the hollow pushrods. I suggest not running that engine until the pushrods are replaced with hollow ones designed for use on HD engines.

With respect to adjusting the rods, you need to make sure the piston of the cylinder being adjusted is at TDC of the COMPRESSION stroke. What I do is watch the exhaust valve open, close then the intake open and close. Then I slowly turn the engine over (using the rear wheel with the tranny in 5th or 6th and the plugs out) with a straw in the plug hole so I can feel when the piston gets to TDC. After adjusting both the intake and the exhaust rods, I go take a break for about 20 minutes. When I get back to the engine, the rods can be rotated easily with the thumb and index finger. At that point I rotate the engine (as above) so that the other piston is at TDC of its COMPRESSION stroke. Then adjust those rods.

TQ

Thanks for all the replys. I figured out my problem. The Jam nut on the exhaust rod on the rear cylinder came loose and was causing all the racket. Got her runnin smooth now. The rods are Screamin Eagle adjustable pushrods, designed for my bike, but they are solid. I dont know how lubrication gets up into the top end with them, but I pulled my rocker box covers to make sure lube was gettin in there and it is??? (I use the straw method to find TDC of the compression stroke also!!)

The pushrod tubes are pressurized so the oil should reach the rocker boxes check the manual for the oil system shcematic to be sure

The pushrod tubes are pressurized so the oil should reach the rocker boxes check the manual for the oil system shcematic to be sure

The only pressure in the tubes is crank case pressure. The oil travels through the pushrods themselves to the top of the cylinders and into the heads. It drains back through the pushrod tubes.

Jack,
Last night I was curious how the oil gallery layout was on my bike but the service manual did not cover the topic at all??
I can't understand how the pushrods could be solid. But then again I am comparing the system to the automotive way.

Hoop!

I did a little research & on my TC '09 96 inch, the valve train does get it's lubrication through the Pushrods themselves. I would stop Now and find out why your replacement pushrods don't have holes in each end like the original pushrods did. You could be heading down a path of destruction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replys. I figured out my problem. The Jam nut on the exhaust rod on the rear cylinder came loose and was causing all the racket. Got her runnin smooth now. The rods are Screamin Eagle adjustable pushrods, designed for my bike, but they are solid. I dont know how lubrication gets up into the top end with them, but I pulled my rocker box covers to make sure lube was gettin in there and it is??? (I use the straw method to find TDC of the compression stroke also!!)

Were they like these?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J04545.pdf

TQ

Back