free website stats program Need Advice on Completing Purchase | Harley Davidson Forums

Need Advice on Completing Purchase

I'm pretty comfortable with auto purchases, but I have never bought a bike before so I feel a tad uncomfortable with the process. I was told by another Harley Dealer that they do negotiate, but I have no idea what that means. The bike I am most likely going to buy is a 2007 Road King Classic and it's listed for 14,999. This bike has some chrome options and a 103" engine which is slightly larger then the regular one, is my guess. Forgive my ignorance please. I'll go ahead and post the bike in case it helps anyone who might give me advice Harley-Davidson® 2007 FLHRC Road King® Classic

I obviously would like to negotiate the best deal possible from the dealer on this used bike, but I have no idea how far to go with it. What is the normal markup on a trade in like this? How much do you think the dealer paid for this bike? I could use any advice you can give and would appreciate any tips. I could really use some hard figures about what others might pay for this bike. Thanks

It most definitely is a great looking bike, without question. The miles are a bit high but if you can see the service on it, probably not that high. The price really isn't to bad IMHO. With all the extras? It's probably worth it. I'd say, if your good with it, go for it. It is a buyers market right now, you might get a few hundred off, if you don't wrench, get the next service thrown in.

Last edited:
Don't know the market in you area so commenting on price is difficult. Considering the engine upgrade and the tourpack upgrade, the price seems reasonable. The service records would be good to have and it would be interesting to know if the 103" upgrade included cams as well.

Check to see if by chance the previous owner purchased an extended warranty; it is transferable.

How do the tires look? If worn, that's an immediate expense. Spoke wheels look rignt on a bike but they are a pain to keep clean.

I wouldn't worry about the mileage; cared for, you can put another trouble free 70K miles on her trouble free.

Wouldn't hurt to go lower on price and find the bottom or, like xlcruser says, have the next service thrown in the deal.

I hate this process. I just went to two dealers to look at two different bikes and I'm more frustrated then ever. Keep in mind getting my loan too all of 4 minutes over the phone so this truly is just a process of finding the right bike at the right price. One dealer would negotiate but didn't say to what extent, the other dealer, the one listed for this bike said he would not negotiate. I have talked to several people, including the comments from this site, all of which say the mileage is too high for this bike. I flat out asked the dealer how someone could put 16.5k miles on the bike each year twice in a row for a total of 34k. His response was; which would I rather have, a bike thats been ridden or one that's been sitting in the garage for the last couple years. IN THE GARAGE YOU RETARD! OMG He knows that. My brother in law told me that he took his bike in to possible do a trade in and they offered him 12k for his '05 Road King Classic and it's only got 5k miles on it. This tells me that they probably paid 13k or so for these 07's which is good information to have. It gives me an idea that they are probably marking up about 3k on average. If I cant get at least 1k off of the bike then I think I will start looking at private sales. At least that way I will feel more comfortable and will probably get a much better deal.

I forgot to mention that the color isn't black even though it clearly says as much on website description. It's Black Cherry. I told the salesmen that it wasn't listed correctly. Oh its not? Let's take a lookie here. Oh sure nuff, its listed as black inst it. I drove 2 hours to look at this bike and its not even the right color. I'm not liking this process.

And beside, it has a huge puddle of red jiffy stand oil leaking from it.

Actually, it looks like a fair deal. I wouldn't pay that much unless you are getting a deal in other areas. Such as: service, parts, accessories. Also, dealers that are friendly and provide good service are worth it later on down the road. See what they will do for you if they won't lower the sticker price.

Is cycle trader magazine still sold? I have exhausted all electronic means of searching for bikes so I am hoping there are still a few available in print form. I searched a 7-11 and a Kroger neither of which carried autotrader or cycletrader. I suppose wal-mart might but I hate to go to another place only to find out they don't print them anymore.

Good eye USMC: I didn't see that the kick stand was leaking until now ;) It really was a pretty bike but since it's only the second one I have looked at, I just don't feel that comfortable paying that kind of price right out of the gate. Especially since the miles are so high. There are 20 others for sale right now with 1/2 or even 3/4 less the miles.

Last edited:
pretty sure cycle trader is online only now. craigslist would be my focus, and might be why most classifieds are out of print. check them daily you will find your bike, dont rush into it.
ok how about some stock tips?

Back