free website stats program Need advice about riding slow in high heat | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need advice about riding slow in high heat

I don't live in a big city but when Sturgis rolls around and I'm backed up in traffic I do worry about my oil temp. I just ordered an oil cooler (the HD one) and will let you guys know what results I see. p/n: 26155-09

Hey John, I know my situation is alott different than yours, but for my trip home I found that if I leave work before 5:30 traffic is a mess, but 5:40 and it is more friendly. This is on the side streets and the hiway is simular, by waiting a few extra minutes the traffic cleans out enough to enjoy the ride better. Again smaller city here but play with the idea, of course you may be looking at 1/2 hr to 45 minutes, but if the final arrival time is close and less stress from those in a big hurry is what you want, this may help.

If that were me, I might do a bit of revving the engine when sitting in that slow of traffic so that the oil pressure were maintained (higher than idle pressure) to allow the oil to cool the engine. Revving would help but moving faster than 5 mph would also and that is your problem. Problem with revving is the cagers think you are trying to be cool by making noise and that is not the case in prolonged stop and go traffic.

The other problem with revving is it will cancel the ETIMS.

Is this accurate? Revving the engine while in parade speeds or stopped will cool the engine? I thought the opposite. Not trying to dispute, just learn. I understand the reasoning about higher oil pressure circulating oil, but won't doing this while stopped with no air flow just increase heat? I want to know this answer for sure. Thanks all.

My 09 Road Glide is my first air-cooled motorcycle and I'm a little paranoid about heat. I understand that changing to synthetics helps because of their higher tolerance to heat, and you've done that. An air cooler is often recommended but they are only effective if you have some airflow across the radiator fins. I plan on getting an air cooler but in the meantime I installed a Lenale air fan (H-D also makes one) for those times when I am stuck in traffic jams where there is little or no movement. If all else fails then you will just have to rely on pulling over and turning the motor off or getting off the freeway for a while to let the engine cool down.

Most oil coolers expell the heat even with bike not moving due to slight convection cooling (heat rises) even in "still air" AND because of the internal fins that provide turbulence in the oil so more of it is exposed to the tube surfaces at ONLY 100 degress F (a lot cooler than 250 degrees F plus the circulating oil is at) so your oil cooler is working even in the rather "still" open air.

Also, if the traffic is stopped in California anyways, lane splitting is legal (keep her under 35 mph) and only subject to officer's descretion of what is considered a "safe pass".

Last edited:
perhaps the only advantage to living in Europe..

lane splitting perfectly ok. Many cars will make room for you.
running up the shoulder in traffic jams ok.

never seen anyone pulled over for that.

You can get pulled over for everything else though :)

Hobbit brought up a good point on the oil pressure .. at 10# or less the piston cooling jets turn off in the twin cams not enough pressure to make up work these spray oil directly on the under side of the pistons to help dispate the heat on/in them

To avoid this overheating, I bought a liquid cooled scooter for moving in slow traffic in Summer (and not only...)
If you already know that your DAILY trip will be slow and "hot"... why don't you get a "cool" (talking of temperature...) vehicle??

Air cooled Harley CANNOT ride in hot temperature with little or no airflow: they're made for loooong American highways in the desert... like in the movies!! :p

Looks like a joke... but it's not, IMHO. :s

Occasionally, you can drive in jammed traffic, but, as it seem to be in your case, doing it EVERY working day.... looks risky for the engine's health to me! :s
... despite oil coolers etc... :s

My 2 cents

Ciao
Ugo

They still sell HDs in Arizona dispite the heat. :s

Yes, but the idea the whole world has of Arizona is... loooooong straight roads in the middle of a rocky desert with no one around but an Harley riding!
:)
...and, more important, with the engine being gently stroke by a warm, sometimes hot, flow of air, but always capable to take away the enormous heat generated by the Twin!

HD designers couldn't imagine that in the State of cowboys, redskins and rattlesnakes there could be a traffic jam!
:p

Anyway, I understand and somehow agree with your point.

But.... trading your bike with a V-Rod???
:D

Ciao
Ugo

Big Twin to V-Rod cause you live in hot area...wonder if my gal would buy that or my daughter's husband in Arizona...

Uh-oh I gave him an air & oil cooled Kat to "warm up to" , don't think she'll buy it now! :small3d015:

Air cooled Harley CANNOT ride in hot temperature with little or no airflow: they're made for loooong American highways in the desert... like in the movies!! :p

My 2 cents

Ciao
Ugo

This is a absurd statement IMO. They have been riding in extreme heat in all circumstances longer than any other bike. I guess they just got lucky for last 100 yrs. For you to make a statement that they cannot do it after they have done it for longer than you have been alive is way off base. Obviously they can ride in hot temps because they do.:lero

Back