free website stats program Need a new rear tire.......... | Harley Davidson Forums

Need a new rear tire..........

92FXRS

I need to buy a new rear tire for my '92 FXRS. I want a Dunlop D402.
I know people on this forum have suggested companies with the best deals & service, but I can't seem to find it.
My local HD dealer wants $164.95, some motorcycle tire distributors on the internet are running between $115.99 - $136.99.
I trust you guys (& gals) opinions very much. Just want the best deal I can get, good service (shipping time), & people I can trust.
Any help is greatly appreciated

I got the best price at Motorcycle Super Store. Here's a tip for searching prices. Type in "Froogle" or "Google Product Search" in your search box. Then use "Google Product Search" to find what you want. This search just shows who has what you want and the price. You don't have to sift through all the other stuff relating to your key words. Dunlop Elite 3 is also a good tire, less grip but higher mileage. Also, some internet tire outlets have old date code tires, I don't know how to guarantee you get fresh tires.
And last, call around and find out what it's going to cost to get them mounted, the dealers price might not be that bad when everything is added up.

2nd vote for Motorcycle Superstore. Good prices fast Free shipping over $75. As for type of tires, everyone has their own opinion, I like Mich. Commanders... to me better ride & traction IMHO, but if you stay w/ good name in M/C tires you'll be fine. Let us know what you choose & how you like them...

#3 yes vote for motorcycle superstore for tires. Great service, fast shipping, and great prices. They can be found under the name dennis kirk.

Last edited:
If you do "carry in" (wheel & old tire off the bike) and take it to the servicer of your choice (HD Dealer, indy or metric shop) some will install FREE if you buy the tire from them...which typically is supplied by Motorcycle Warehouse "wholesaler" or their choice supplier if they do not have the size in stock...last Metzler' I got were just over $100, (I pointed out the tire ad from Motorcyclist magazine on sale for $92 earlier), mounting and balancing was FREE and done while I waited...so shop around.

Most dealers are hurting right now I bet they would price match the worst they could say is no

Just thought I'd let you guys know. I waited on ordering the Dunlop D402 for the rear of my bike until after everyone was back to work following the Christmas & New Years holidays.
I called around here in my area to local repair shops & found one that had my
tire in stock. Sold it for $130, then mounted & balanced for $15. (He even pulled the bearing races out of the hub for nothing, because I needed to replace bearings & races also, 1 was badly worn).
I prefer to spend my money locally if I can get a fairly decent deal, because if something goes wrong, I have someone to go back to.
In this case, patience waiting for shops to get back to work paid off
(patience is not 1 of my better virtues).
Thanks anyway everyone

Just thought I'd let you guys know. I waited on ordering the Dunlop D402 for the rear of my bike until after everyone was back to work following the Christmas & New Years holidays.
I called around here in my area to local repair shops & found one that had my
tire in stock. Sold it for $130, then mounted & balanced for $15. (He even pulled the bearing races out of the hub for nothing, because I needed to replace bearings & races also, 1 was badly worn).
I prefer to spend my money locally if I can get a fairly decent deal, because if something goes wrong, I have someone to go back to.
In this case, patience waiting for shops to get back to work paid off
(patience is not 1 of my better virtues).
Thanks anyway everyone
Giving business to a local shop is a good idea. It is nice for them to be around when you really need them. You might save a couple bucks over the internet. But if you find a good local job. You will get your money back sooner or later.

just bought from motorcycle-superstore.com, I worry about how long tires sit on the shelf and such, but these have been a dream so far, knock on wood.

Back