free website stats program Need a little help | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need a little help

Sorry for the slow response, but I'm ready to run the bike off a cliff.

I check the tripple tree and its all good.
I got new front bearings installed and that solved the slight speed wooble.
The front tire could stll give me problems. Only time will tell.

My biggest worry right now is the S&S E Shorty.

1 - Poor idle and back fires thru the carb.
2 - I did check the timing and was able to see the vertical mark thru the plastic inspection screw. Can I assume that my ignition is working properly ?
3- I thought some rust was getting into the carb so I pulled the petcock. WOW was that screen covered in rust. Its clean now but still the same problem.
4 - The plugs were black and I replaced them.
5 - Both spark plug cables were also replaced
6 - The intermediate jet is 295 and the main jet is 74. Thats the recommended size from S&S.
7 - The Fast/Idle plunger sticks.
8 - The Idle mixture screw is damaged and I have no way to detemine if the upper housing is also damaged.
9 - I have already adjusted the float.
10 - I also may have damaged the slit in the Enjector nozzle that is permantley attached to the bottom bowl. The slit is supposed accept a 4 mill gauge which it does now, but when I originally had it, it would only hold a 1mill gauge (DIRT), The spray pattern from the slit is not uniform.

I barely got the engine to run but only at 1500 RPM.
I would like to go back to Harley CV carb but that would invlove more money.

I'm going to order a new S&S E carb.

All my problems are now resolved. Its been 3 weeks of pure torture but I learned alot.
The speed wooble is now gone after replacing the front bearing.
The sheared motor mount bolts were replaced.
The spark plug cables were replaced

The S&s carb was the biggest problem.
I replaced almost everthing except for the aluminum body and the idle screw and still it would not run right. I still dont know why I did not inspect the idle screw. When I pulled it out, it was scored. I ordered a new idle screw and still no idle below 1500 RPM. After further reading I found out that if the throttle body is damaged, idle can be rough.

I order a NEW S&S carb and install it. I fired up the bike and it idled well. After 5 minutes I notice black smoke coming out of the exhaust. I pulled the plugs and they where black. NOW WHAT!! The enricher valve was down or so I thought. The lever that controls the enricher valve was binding and preventing the valve from seating properly. First thing that came to mind was oil contamination. I check the oil, and there was a strong odor of gas plus it was contaminated with black carbon particles.

I tweak the lever,bought new plugs and replaced the oil filter. I forgot to mention I put in the smaller smaller jets. The bike runs so much better now I can't believe its the same bike. Total cost almost $800.00

:bigsmiley24:

I dont believe a bearing would cause a high spot on a tire so u may want to recheck u didnt break a belt in tire

There was no mention of a high spot on the front tire. I verified that with a run out gauge.
The bearing was replaced because there was one spot where you heard a slight click and could feel a slight movement.

If any one is interested
The engine is a stock 80 inch
The S&S Intermediate jet is .0295 and the Main jet is .074
The mixture screw is 1.5 turns
The accelarator screw is 1 turn

:cheers:cheers:cheers

Back