free website stats program need a diagram | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

need a diagram

awesome. thanks for the p/n. $16.00 is not a bad price for a switch. i may get one before the snow fly's. looks like fun to replace being tucked inside the housing. but hey if it was easy then everyone would be doing it :D...........dan

Look to see if you have any separation between the switch housing and the master cylinder. If you do then loosen the master cylinder and slide it against the switch housing. The slightest gap can cause the brake light switch to activate. If you take either off the handle bar 1st. place at least a 1/8" piece of paper between the brake lever and it's perch, leave it there until after you remount everything tight.This keeps the lever from breaking off the tip of the switch.
tourbox

just checked and there is no gap.
i loosened the master cylinder and slid it toward the center of the bar, then i removed the bolts completely, found the switch spring looking at me. i can see the plastic tip is missing. confirmed.. its the switch. i now have the concept on how the switch works.
just for s&g i put the master cylinder back on the bar and started the bolts, tighten the bolts just enough for the master cylinder to slide. i squeezed the brake lever then slid the master cylinder to the switch, tighten the bolts then released the lever. this seemed to work but missing part of the switch maybe giving me a false impression. think i will do the paper idea when i get a new switch............dan

Back