free website stats program need a diagram | Harley Davidson Forums

need a diagram

new to the forum and been looking around.
i just bought a 1995 1200 sportster. the speedo has been removed, rear fender has been shaved, ape hangers and the rear tail lamp has been moved from the rear fender to the left side. the brake light stays on with the key in both positions. i removed the seat and found the circuit breakers. the breaker for the brake light gets power when the key is turned to the 2nd position. i removed 1 wire from the rear brake switch and the light is still on. so this leads me to believe its up front wiring. i removed the headlight and found 6 to 8 wires cut. not spliced to anything. there is also a connector that goes to the cluster lights (neutral,oil,signals) i unplugged this connector and the brake light stays on.
i am looking for a diagram to see what wires are cut and know what color of wires are used for the front brake switch. kinda lost when looking up forum diagrams due to the list them as xl flthd. i dont know what model mine is..thanks for any help........dan

Attachments

• HD right side.jpg
    HD right side.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 15
  • HD left side.jpg
    HD left side.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 12
wd210.jpg

Here is a 93 model it should be close
Welcome to The Forum

Keep in mind that the brake light and tail light are two different things, and two different circuits.

The tail light should be on whenever the ignition switch is turned on, in either position.

The brake light typically is powered by the accessory circuit, the tail light is powered by the lights circuit.

For model designation sportsters always seem to start with XL which may be for unit construction and often an H high compression so look for XLH for model designation
It is not un common for the front brake light switch to get broken and stay on as the on position is with no pressure off is when the switch is pushed in so if the end of the switch gets broken off it will always show on

Brian

awesome info and 1/2 diagram. thank you guys.
2 circuits is what i figured when the brake switch breaker did not power up until i turned the key a 2nd time.
a LED tail lamp was installed in place of the regular lights.
the LED'S are one brightness on both key settings.
so if the parking lights come on with 1 key turn then turn the key again then the brake switches get power. (parking light stays powered)
the problem is.. it looks like the LED light is full bright in both key positions. so how can it be a brake switch if the circuit breaker for the brake switches only has power when i turn the key the 2nd time? (thinking while typing)
dont get me wrong i was thinking the front brake switch is the problem but if on a separate circuit i cant see it being a switch.
i found a 4 wire connector under the seat. 4 wires go into the connector 3 wires come out. the 3 wires go to the new LED light.
going to retest the 4 wires going in due to i cant remember which wires got power with the key turned in 2 positions.
could be as simple as they have the parking light wire powering the brake wire at the LED.. hoping for the best.. thanks...........dan

Look for a load equalizer wired in for the LED, if not that will be an issue and could cause a feed back. Electricity is a funny animal and will do crazy things

Look for a load equalizer wired in for the LED, if not that will be an issue and could cause a feed back. Electricity is a funny animal and will do crazy things

i see 2 resistors wired in. but they are for the LED lights that were installed under the gas tank, they wired the LEDS in from the battery to a toggle mounted to the left side cover, from the toggle to 2 LED strips. from what i can see the tail/brake light is wired directly to the 4 wire connector under the seat. they used 3 of the 4 wires coming out of the connector. more or less they cut the 3 wires from the old light and spliced in the new LED tail/brake light..
on my way to the garage with the diagram and start tracing out wires. i want to take her on a ride and hate not having a brake light. let you guys know how i make out. thanks for the help and diagram............dan

For model designation sportsters always seem to start with XL which may be for unit construction and often an H high compression so look for XLH for model designation
It is not un common for the front brake light switch to get broken and stay on as the on position is with no pressure off is when the switch is pushed in so if the end of the switch gets broken off it will always show on

Brian

you are correct and so was i. this case 2 rights make a fix.
i removed the seat and used my test light at the brake/tail lamp connector. blue is powered on the 1st key turn and second key turn. this is the parking light wire..the red/yellow gets power when i turn the key the 2nd time. removed the 2 wires from the lamp to the connector. swapped the 2 lamp wires. now the rear LED is dim when the key is in both positions parking light working now. but i have power in the red/yellow wire when the key is turned in the second position.
removed the headlight assy. found the connector i was looking for. i unplugged the connector now the red/yellow has no power in the 2 key position. only has power when i press the rear brake lever. connected the lamp to the connector wire. now i have a dim LED in park and a BRIGHT led when the brake (rear) is applied.
so i cut the red/yellow wire at the headlight connector then plugged the connector back in. no brake light with the hand brake lever but a brake light with the foot brake lever. i am good with that. i need a front brake switch. i have all winter to find one. assembled the headlight and seat. all is well.
thank you guys for your help. this is solved.........dan

Front stoplight switch part number = 71590-92 that is for 93 and 94 year models in 96 handlebar controls were completely updated I suspect that 95 will use same parts as 93 & 94
Did a quick check and found that the part has been updated and part number is 71590-92A

Brian

Back