need a 6 speed

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Burnster, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Burnster

Burnster Member

Just bought a 05 FLHTC with only 6000 km. ( 3600 ) miles, stage 2, real pretty. Does anybody know what's invovled to have the 6 speed tranny. Thought I saw a kit or the like. Burnster

2. Chopper

Chopper Senior Member

3. ghostrider2008

ghostrider2008 Member

Baker is doing a 7 speed tranny. That would be the way to go if your going to spend the money.

4. rkrdr2

rkrdr2 Active Member

The only thing you will gain by putting a six speed in your '05 is a lighter wallet...you would be better off taking the $$$$ you will spend on the six speed and put it with what ever a dealer will give ya for your '05 and buy a 09 or 10 and get the whole new package!

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

I posted this a while ago and Bubbie killed me LOL who needs 1 more gear, Jack

6. Delmar

Delmar Active Member

Is it possible to swap a used factory 6-speed into a 2001-newer big twin?

7. Chopper

Chopper Senior Member

Pretty shure the cases would not match up, but a six speed gear set is easy to install and worth every penny of it in my book.

8. I will be doing a 6 speed Optima install in my '01 EG. My mechanic said it will be well worth the $$. I asked about the 7speed, and was told that it wouldnt fit in the older bikes. Cant wait to get riding..

9. shovelrider

shovelrider Member

S&S Cycle also do a six speed which works very well.

10. CalgaryBikeBum

CalgaryBikeBum Active Member

I think the 7 speed will only work on the Original 6 speed Harley cases?? Not sure of that but was jist of what I got from reading?