free website stats program neck grease | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

neck grease

Just Like the Dr. Ordered:s

Pick a grease you can get and a grease gun that pumps well... and Keep using the same grease.
You got all the Know-How it is done here in this thread,,,, so YES, GREASE IT Then come back and tell me (us) you used a full tube and 1/4 to a 1/2 of another to fill her up...:s

signed....BUBBIE

"IF" that is true about Not having one?, I'd be putting in a zerk fitting soon. I like to KNOW the neck Is Greased and fresh is pushed there often...:s

MY Thinking on this: it is just another way HD Trying to take the "easy" out of the JOB,,,, Hoping to make it DIFFICULT for the owner AND more money for the HD Franchised Shops,,, keeping owners fingers out of the mix but YET our fingers DEEPER into our Wallets... That was Not Needed when the zerk was in-place...:newsmile058:

Just My Way...

signed....BUBBIE

The neck bearing adjustment (among other things) is different on 2014's. Adjustment is done from bottom of lower triple tree, there's a threaded bushing that prevents grease from being pumped to the lower bearing even if a zerk fitting is installed.
Bubbie, see pm

"IF" that is true about Not having one?, I'd be putting in a zerk fitting soon. I like to KNOW the neck Is Greased and fresh is pushed there often...:s

MY Thinking on this: it is just another way HD Trying to take the "easy" out of the JOB,,,, Hoping to make it DIFFICULT for the owner AND more money for the HD Franchised Shops,,, keeping owners fingers out of the mix but YET our fingers DEEPER into our Wallets... That was Not Needed when the zerk was in-place...:newsmile058:

Just My Way...

signed....BUBBIE

Can't see the neck like on previous bikes.Looks like it's inside the fairing.2014's have all new front end.

The neck bearing adjustment (among other things) is different on 2014's. Adjustment is done from bottom of lower triple tree, there's a threaded bushing that prevents grease from being pumped to the lower bearing even if a zerk fitting is installed.
Bubbie, see pm

I did and I still think I'M Glad to have a BIG neck and CAN FILL it with grease...:s

Now on the 2014's, I rode to Sierra Vista HD (86 NICE WARM MILES one way) today and talked with the manager and I came away STILL thinking that the whole thing IS $$$ related. He told me of the differences and a heavier front end on the 2014 bikes and NO zerk was there, needing to be REPACKED in about 25,000 miles. That thread LINK you gave me Pete was some my feelings and some HD's feelings.:11:

I'm still Old School and I like my GREASE..:thanks

signed....BUBBIE

I did and I still think I'M Glad to have a BIG neck and CAN FILL it with grease...:s

Now on the 2014's, I rode to Sierra Vista HD (86 NICE WARM MILES one way) today and talked with the manager and I came away STILL thinking that the whole thing IS $$$ related. He told me of the differences and a heavier front end on the 2014 bikes and NO zerk was there, needing to be REPACKED in about 25,000 miles. That thread LINK you gave me Pete was some my feelings and some HD's feelings.:11:

I'm still Old School and I like my GREASE..:thanks

signed....BUBBIE

Seems like alot of work to will need to be done to repack those 2014 bearings! I bet alot of them will not get done. Watch for the death wobble threads starting up in a few years.
These design flaws or lack of design just irk me.

I just wanted to say thanks to all the members who typed in their ideas about greasing the neck bearings. When my 07 was new, it was serviced twice by a dealer then I started to do my own. Now with 27,000 miles, I started reading the forum about the neck bearings. Using a 90 degree angle hose fitting on the grease gun worked until the grease started backing out of the zerk fitting. Either the neck was full (but no grease was coming out the bottom or top) or I had a bad zerk fitting. I changed the straight fitting to a 90 degree. But every time I screwed it in it was the wrong angle. Somebody said to use a # 4 stainless washer with a lock washer. Didn't help (me). I finally put some blue loctite on the zerk, set it to the correct angle to get the grease gun on it with a straight nipple, let it dry overnight and bingo, I was able to pump in more grease until it came out the top and bottom. I used Redline CV Synthetic Grease, it was red so it was easy to see when it oozed out. Oh yea, took almost the entire 14 ounce tube. I kept looking for any factory grease that may have been pushed out. Surprise, the only grease that came out was red.

I've read that some tie a piece of rope or string around the bottom to keep the grease from coming out the bottom, while getting the extra amount to the top. I was lucky, they both started oozing about the same time. Since it takes pressure to get it to ooze out, the neck should be full. Swing the bars lock to lock a few times, it may help.

You are not only one! I am lucky too! :newsmile01:

Back