free website stats program neck grease | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

neck grease

why not use what harley says to use,it doesn't seem to leak out much.

Many DO, I Don't...

IF you are Judging, HD's Grease Doesn't Leak Out Much.. Is because they Never puts more in but "ON" at assembly.:bigsmiley20:

Leaving the neck bearing area Totally VOID of Needed Grease....

Usually it is the final choice of the Franchised Harley Shop on what they Use as grease and when they get around to grease it.

Coming from a Repair/welding/farming/woods /heavy equipment/MC bike repair back-ground I use what I have found over the years and only suggest using the best to others who WANT to listen to Me. YES, HD Grease Might be good, I still prefer my Non Harley Brands of Lubes.

I have been around this Bike Stuff for many years and FROM My personal experience, I like using MY lubes.

Example; Like I will Not use HD's sin3. I say No to "one oil in 3 holes" THAT is another pet-peeve bothering me started by HD.

Engine oil...my choice REDLINE 20/50---20/60
primary oil...My choice REDLINE MTL
tranny GEAR OIL....REDLINE ShockProof Heavy

WHY you ask..?..REDLINE does a Much better job of Protecting and FAR exceeding HD's recommendations.(.)
My PERIOD and not a obummer period (.) LOL

signed....BUBBIE

BUBBIE,

I am assuming that you are using Red Line Oil 80402 CV-2 Synthetic Grease for neck grease... :newsmile045:

Being you are using Green Grease, IT won't blend in with the HD

So it is safe for me to said that HD grease should be clean up before putting new Redline grease in?

Being you are using Green Grease, IT won't blend in with the HD

So it is safe for me to said that HD grease should be clean up before putting new Redline grease in?

Probably Should be cleaned,,,,,,, but that is a lot of work...KNOWING my necks were Dry, I pumped a lot thru and never could say I saw any other than a smidgin of HD assembly grease showed...

My Redline is RED not green.

:khee I also go in a little later and pump another few pumps (after a good wipe off of excess) to allow the grease to accumulate looking like a 3/8 welded bead Top and Bottom neatly. Always cleaned out by then. :s

I only have to satisfy me on how to do this and I'm okay with it working..

NOW if it was filled with Green synthetic (boat grease) Laze me would Keep using JUST that Same Green Grease... IT would need to be really cleaned for that change to another SAY HD grease...

Now on/in other equipment, accessible bearings would be totally washed, dried and re-packed Properly when using ANY New grease, even when thought to be compatible.

Just my Way

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for your inputs! I can see that you treat your bike like it is YOURS! I like that!

I will give a try with Red Line Oil 80402 CV-2 Synthetic Grease.

there must be some reason HD does not recommend their wheel bearing grease (blue stuff)in the neck bearings of the touring bikes, only in the softails and dyna's. multi-propose grease only in the neck. just following what the service manual says. the multi- propose stuff is a little thinner.

I BET you can Really feel a better ride after it is lubed like you have it now.
I know I could...

Even right after the greasing, I could feel the smoooooothness that was Not there before, just moving the bars left to right.

SILLY ME, I waited 5,000 miles before I did mine after New purchased....(My Bad)

I do suggest to Repeat within a 1000 miles and you are golden for a long time... (probably only two pumps)

I put the greaser pumper on and give My King a little every once in a while...

I don't go by the miles, just about once a month or two works for me. AND I do feel a better difference Each time it is topped off.

signed....BUBBIE

so do you think I should grease up the bearing on my new roadking?

so do you think I should grease up the bearing on my new roadking?

Absolutely!!!

Harley's are notorious for being delivered with almost no grease in the neck bearings. Folks that do their own service routinely have to pump an entire tube of grease in.

Back