free website stats program neck grease | Harley Davidson Forums

neck grease

kdaddy

I greased my neck bearings on my Electra glide until I got a bot coming from the lower neck bearing. I still had none from the upper. So is the lower the weak link and the barrel is full to the top and grease taking the path of least resistence. Should I add more and if so what trick is there to stop the flow from the bottom. There is not s lot of room to work wit due to the fairing. I used almost a whole tube of green grease high temp waterproof. It took this much to get grease exuding from bottom. Any sensible suggestions appreciated.

I've read that some tie a piece of rope or string around the bottom to keep the grease from coming out the bottom, while getting the extra amount to the top. I was lucky, they both started oozing about the same time. Since it takes pressure to get it to ooze out, the neck should be full. Swing the bars lock to lock a few times, it may help.

Has it been a long time since you greased the neck? I would think after pumping in that much grease the upper bearing should have got some lube, I like Petes idea here it sure cant hurt and would surely back the grease up to the top, worth a try IMO

It may help to install a 90* grease zerk fitting if you haven't already so you can get on it easier.

Since you pumped in a whole tube, I think you have filled up the neck. Hopefully you used a grease that will not thin when it gets hot out and make a real mess as it continuously oozes out of the bottom bearing. I used to use a water-proof marine lube (green) in my UC. Good lube for the application.

Cheers,

TQ

It may help to install a 90* grease zerk fitting if you haven't already so you can get on it easier.

Since you pumped in a whole tube, I think you have filled up the neck. Hopefully you used a grease that will not thin when it gets hot out and make a real mess as it continuously oozes out of the bottom bearing. I used to use a water-proof marine lube (green) in my UC. Good lube for the application.

Cheers,

TQ

Yes. I used "green grease" it is high temp 500 degree grease for marine bearings etc. We use on the wheel hearings also. It is great stuff.

Kdaddy,

To Improve on my "Brother from a different Mother" (Breeze-Pete) Great Idea...

Use a flat shoe lace to work around twice and pull down tight covering the bottom slit. This will help you keep grease Going Upward...

The necks on these bikes are NOT filled from the factory and I NEVER seen OR Heard of them getting filled at a HD Shop, and that is my HO (.) not a period from the Liar Liar Pants On Fire Guy.....:55::55::55:

It will take a full and about another 1/2 tube IF never filled before.(normal)

Being you are using Green Grease, IT won't blend in with the HD (Little amount they used when Built and put together)
SO,,,,,Plan on a big ring of your NEW grease (easily seen as it is probably Green/Blue) to come out TOP Also, so you know it is totally lubed up on top.

Messy YES but YOU will FEEL a BIG difference in the steering and the ride after filled.

Next Time it will be Easier.....:s

I would also suggest to Pump a little more into it in about a 1000 miles and you will be good to go. You may Not need the shoe lace next time. Use Plenty of Klean-X as it will do a Better job of grabbing the GLOBS of e-jected grease than a rag...

Let us know how it works for you...

Mine greased easily and came out the top at the same time....LUCKY... I leave a 1/4 inch ring around the top and the bottom and it stays there on my RED synthetic Thick grease

signed....BUBBIE

HD05FLHR029.gif
Here is a picture of the neck bearings and dust shields, you will be pumping the grease in and up the steering head plus filling the inside of the neck housing

Thanks everyone for the tips. The shoestring trick worked great. A couple of pumps and got an even bead of grease out the top. Cleaned it up with a handful of q tips and all is well. Barely had any old grease push out which tells me this was long overdue. Thanks again

I BET you can Really feel a better ride after it is lubed like you have it now.
I know I could...

Even right after the greasing, I could feel the smoooooothness that was Not there before, just moving the bars left to right.

SILLY ME, I waited 5,000 miles before I did mine after New purchased....(My Bad)

I do suggest to Repeat within a 1000 miles and you are golden for a long time... (probably only two pumps)

I put the greaser pumper on and give My King a little every once in a while...

I don't go by the miles, just about once a month or two works for me. AND I do feel a better difference Each time it is topped off.

signed....BUBBIE

Back