free website stats program Neck Bearing Grease | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Neck Bearing Grease

ok thanks for the advice. It's not a huge issue for me but just don't understand why hd would design it like that.

ok thanks for the advice. It's not a huge issue for me but just don't understand why hd would design it like that.

I don't know either. Some of the HD design elements really leave me scratching my head!!

But at least they have moved the neck bearings grease fitting location on my new bike (see photo).

I am glad you brought up this issue just now. I had not thought about that with my new bike, and just went out to do it. Took about a mini-tube and a half to get the grease out the bottom and top. Did not push out any old grease, so I am sure the neck was not full of grease. I used the marine grease I mentioned on my earlier posts.

The pix show the greased bearings with the grease coming out the bottom and top.

Cheers,

TQ

Attachments

• 2012 UC Neck Grease Fitting.jpg
    2012 UC Neck Grease Fitting.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Neck bearings grease.jpg
    Neck bearings grease.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Greased neck bearing - Lower.jpg
    Greased neck bearing - Lower.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 60
  • Greased neck bearing - Upper.jpg
    Greased neck bearing - Upper.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 60
Traded in my 09 street bob for a 2016 Heritage and am completely happy with the ride, way it handles, having bags and windshield, etc...My question is I noticed for the first time the blue grease oozing out of what appears to be a spacer between the frame and the triple tree, after reading this thread I am guessing its normal. I cleaned off probably enough to fill the inside of a plastic soda bottle cap. Seem about right or is that excessive?

Traded in my 09 street bob for a 2016 Heritage and am completely happy with the ride, way it handles, having bags and windshield, etc...My question is I noticed for the first time the blue grease oozing out of what appears to be a spacer between the frame and the triple tree, after reading this thread I am guessing its normal. I cleaned off probably enough to fill the inside of a plastic soda bottle cap. Seem about right or is that excessive?

Sounds normal if someone actually greased the neck to full. They didnt used to grease the neck from the factory. They just greased the bearings and installed them. Either way its probably what oozed out during assembly. I wouldnt be alarmed.

Back when I had the 1000 mile service done in 2013 was when I first noticed the blue ooze. It still does it to this day so every coupla weeks I wipe it off. I just put in some Lucas heavy duty grease marine grade and will see what it does this year.

Sounds normal if someone actually greased the neck to full. They didnt used to grease the neck from the factory. They just greased the bearings and installed them. Either way its probably what oozed out during assembly. I wouldnt be alarmed.
Appreciate the feedback

High temp grease is the cure for the dreaded ooze on the front fender. Remember that if changing fitting to a 45, on my 2008 FLH the threads were METRIC.

And depending on your location, even high temp grease is no answer. Clean and keep it greased.

Back