free website stats program Neck bearing adjustment? | Harley Davidson Forums

Neck bearing adjustment?

jdaws

I need to adjust the neck bearings on my low rider. I'm looking for some input on this. I have a service manual. Should I follow the manual or is there an updated or better way to do it?

I think the "fall away" proceedure in the manual is somewhat close/ballpark at best. There is just no way to get a torque wrench in there to actually set the pre-load correctly. I think if you knew the pitch of the gland nut thread you could calculate the distance from Zero endplay of the roller bearing and just set the preload based on a negative endplay distance.

With the drag of the cables, and getting the frame level in 2 planes while the bike is in the air, just makes it very tricky.
I just went with zero endplay and added (tighten) the gland nut a couple of flats. If someone has a better way, please let me know.

I need to adjust the neck bearings on my low rider. I'm looking for some input on this. I have a service manual. Should I follow the manual or is there an updated or better way to do it?

Why do you feel you need to adjust the neck on a 2008?
Are you getting a front end "clunk"?

HD has a kit for the Dyna that includes a new hardened washer and slightly higher torque setting on the top nut. Fall away shouldn't really be necessary.

HD has a kit for the Dyna that includes a new hardened washer and slightly higher torque setting on the top nut.

Humm. I knew there was a kit for touring models but never knew of one for Dyna. Would you have any more info on the Dyna kit? Especially late model like 2009.

BigFoot, Disregard my last transmission. I located the Service Bulletin about that kit. Tks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back