free website stats program Neat oil change | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Neat oil change

Aluminum Foil works well (on my 02 RK). I also found that a manilla folder works BEST... it is long enough to channel the oil all the way out to the floor board (and drop to the waiting oil pan beneath, without getting anything OILY)!!!!!

I use the 2 liter bottle trick and then I use carb cleaner immediately followed with a bath, no problems with the paint so far. With a little patience you won't get much oil on anything, so not much to spray off anyway. And I also found that the tall oil filters are a lot easier to get off than the short filters. more filter to grab, and more oil in the motor, maybe a 1/4 quart.

I used a 1.25 litre coke bottle.It's a bit smaller and fits under a bit better.I also used a small(and old)baking dish to catch any oil dripping from the filter,down the case and onto the floor.Works well;probably until my wife misses one of her pans!

I used a 1.25 litre coke bottle.It's a bit smaller and fits under a bit better.I also used a small(and old)baking dish to catch any oil dripping from the filter,down the case and onto the floor.Works well;probably until my wife misses one of her pans!
Ahh, the beauty of being the cook & the mechanic....I can take things out of the kitchen & it's okay. :S I do get some looks from hubby though.

Thought I'd try it on my last oil change and although the foil was unforgiving and hard to work with, I was able to completely drain the filter using foil but as far as removing the filter it wasn't possible. Maybe the oil cooler lines being in the way is an added obstacle.

KINGpics008.jpg

Oil filters come with a device to help with the mess. Unfold both ends of the box, rip the flaps off of one end and slide the box under the filter flush to the case. The creases in the box make a nice trough. I always break the filter loose about 1 turn, before inserting the box.

Back