free website stats program Navigation Units | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Navigation Units

I have a Garmin 1340 NUVI on mine, with a holder from RAM, and a home made bracket setup That utilised the two nuts/studs from the Windscreen's 100 anniversary emblem. Sits right square in front of me, and doesnt get in the way of my forward vision.

Nuvi: $88
RAM Nuvi Holder: $11
brackets: $0
Cig lighter plug adaped to be wired in Bikes Electrical: $9

I have two units.
Older unit is a Garmin 200W, RAM Mounts handlebar mount, and I installed an inline (fused) power cable that shuts off when I turn the ignition switch off. I routed it under the gas tank. I don't really pay attention to it on the ride until I am ready to go straight home. Then I just tell it...go home.

The new unit. Garmin 765T. It has lifetime maps and traffic. It also has multipoint routing capability. This allows me to create multiple way points (a ride plan). I memorize routes, turns, and roads no more! I go to Harley's "Ride Planner" application on the H.O.G. website, create a ride, save and email to myself. Then I upload it to my 765T.
I also have a RAM Mount and inline cable (not cig lighter).
Plastic bag works great in the rain...or I throw it in the tour pak if not needed.

I have two units.
Older unit is a Garmin 200W, RAM Mounts handlebar mount, and I installed an inline (fused) power cable that shuts off when I turn the ignition switch off. I routed it under the gas tank. I don't really pay attention to it on the ride until I am ready to go straight home. Then I just tell it...go home..

i have the same unit and mount... works great and is out of the way...only difference is my wife tells me when to go home not the Nuvi :D

Last edited:
Forgot to mention I also have Scala Rider 2 wireless bluetooth that connects to the 765T and my iPhone. I listen to GPS instructions and answer my phone through the bluetooth. When my wife rides with her Scala (on back of mine or her Sporster) we talk thru the wireless intercom and she answers her phone while riding (all hands free of course).

AND yes Lorne, 99.9% of the time when I tell it to go home, it's cuz "she" told me to tell it... LOL

I have two units.
Older unit is a Garmin 200W, RAM Mounts handlebar mount, and I installed an inline (fused) power cable that shuts off when I turn the ignition switch off. I routed it under the gas tank. I don't really pay attention to it on the ride until I am ready to go straight home. Then I just tell it...go home.

The new unit. Garmin 765T. It has lifetime maps and traffic. It also has multipoint routing capability. This allows me to create multiple way points (a ride plan). I memorize routes, turns, and roads no more! I go to Harley's "Ride Planner" application on the H.O.G. website, create a ride, save and email to myself. Then I upload it to my 765T.
I also have a RAM Mount and inline cable (not cig lighter).
Plastic bag works great in the rain...or I throw it in the tour pak if not needed.

Garmin 550 mounted to the left bar wired in to a power source up in the front fairing. I had the dealer do the wiring when I was having some other work done up front. I love the location right at my left hand although it would be nice to have it a llittle more "heads up". I just didnt want to mount it to my fairing...

Phil

I use a Garmin Nuvi 1300 with a Ram Mount...Total cost $132.56 + $ 18.oo foe a Glare Stopper (A great product)
I've used it over a year now through many rain storms without any problems. At 73 I think I know how to use a map but the GPS has so many upsides I wouldn't leave home without it.:s

Had a lighter socket fitted under seat and wired into my Tomtom on its standarad suction cradle on my windshield. So far, the device has held even over unseen potholes. I'm cheap, so I wouldn't recommend it - but it seems to work. As for the rain - I don't do rain!

Back