free website stats program Navigation Interface | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Navigation Interface

I'm also in the process of buying the 660 from HD and the interface looked like a good idea... However, based on the problems noted maybe no sound is necessary or alternatively I assume for those occasions you want sound you could plug in an ear phone to the Zumo unit or go with the blue-tooth head-set...

I got a Road Tech 660 for Christmas, and purchased the navigation interface. The installation instructions were a little confusing on which connectors were to be used, but I was able to figure it out with my novice experience. If you don't intend to use the mp3 or XM part of the Zumo, then you don't have to plug it into the Aux jack. If you do plan to use those options, then you do have to plug it in.

I found the way it plugs in is not that bad. There is a connector in the fairing harness that you connect the aux cable to, and then run it out through the handlebar opening. The kit comes with a couple of clips that stick to the inner fairing to help hold the wire in place. I find it much neater than plugging in an mp3 into the aux jack.

Having the gps voice directions come through the stereo speakers is pretty nice, and is a lot easier to hear than it is through the internal speaker.

I have been through all the same attempts that have been mentioned here with a Garmin 665 + NIM HD kit and it will not work. Garmin division for OEM says that the License they have with HD prevents them from modifying the regular Zumo models to work with HK Radio.

I will sell my Garmin 665 and purchase the Road Tech 660. I know this will work as I tried using a friend's Road Tech unit on my bike with the NIM and I can get the NAV commands when the radio is on.

I also have the HD XM Kit and iPod kit installed and therefore can get all these through the Radio, eliminating the need for the 665 at all.

No need at all for the AUX to be used, no external wire needed.

Now I am looking to find a "dongle" I think it is called that will translate all the HK+Road Tech to bluetooth so I don't have to use the HD wired headset or blast everyone else off the road or sidewalk.

If anyone comes across a bluetooth conversion, I would like to know about it. Also my Garmin 665 is available for sale.

Back